TMC Used Trailers

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by DSK333, May 16, 2018.

1. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I analyzed all the people I knew on purchase price to current value and guessed at maintenance.

The trailer I bought from my carrier he bought new in 2006. Compared to what I bought it and it only COST him $2100 a year in depreciation of vale. Call it $900 a year in maintenance? And there you have it?

I have spent about $5500 getting trailer back into tip top shape over the last 3 years (still needs some things) and I paid $21500.00 for it. So I’m easy into $27k into a flatbed worth maybe $18k today. So $9000.00 in 3 years?

I’m at $3000.00 year!

$3k a year is nothing in this buissness.

If you buy a $10k trailer you WILL spend some money on the maintenance! Not Hard to spend $6 or $8 k to get it up and running and usable for a few years? Sell it for what? $8k after a few years? If the frame breaks in half while under a load you just spent $10k in ( including the cleanup) fixing just that one mess?

I understand your dilemma. But looking back I should have just bought a new trailer. However you will be fine in your choice as it sounds like your doing your research. Just know it will cost you the same $3k a year to have a new one or an old one.

Remember the scrap vale of a steel trailer is what it COST you to have someone haul it away.

The crap vale of an all aluminum trailer is $1 a lb. so an aluminum flat is never going to be worth less than $8k

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Makes perfect sense, thanks.

4. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

And you have to take the axles off, and strip off any other steel or wood before they'll give you clean aluminum $.

stwik and Tug Toy Thank this.
  5. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I bought a new trailer in 2016, other than a little grease I haven’t spent a dime on it.

Highway Sailor, kylefitzy, cke and 3 others Thank this.
  6. cke

cke Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Colfax Wi
    I would sure hope not

7. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    I was chatting to a tmc guy who’s been there in and out of the shop and driving .. I had a burnt out marker light I was changing he stated due to cvsa points they swap out entire harness and all the lights once trailer is a certain age . I think it was 4 or 5 years but could be wrong

DSK333 Thanks this.
  8. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Those harnesses aren't cheap but that's probably a good idea. Every time a plug gets changed and you start putting splices in the line you start getting more and more problems. I hate dealing with something that's obviously a wiring problem but there's a number of splices in the line and you can't tell where the power is going out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.