Transmission question/ issue?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Dino soar, Sep 23, 2020.

1. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Thats a perfect explanation!

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Put the outers together on passenger side and the inners on the other side.

Rideandrepair and lester Thank this.
  4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Okay I put a level across the larger Tire and the difference between them is 3/8 of an inch.

I think that I'm going to swap them so that the larger tires match on one side and 3/8 of an inch smaller tires are on the other side, but...

1) how much of a difference in height is acceptable on the dual wheels? So I have three eighths of an inch is that too much for them to ride together? If so what is acceptable?

2) if I swap them and the taller tires are on one side and the smaller tires by 3/8 of an inch are on the other side will that cause any problems inside of my rear if they're not turning the exact same rotation? Would 3/8 of an inch make any difference?

5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    A company I worked for years ago had a big aluminum square. They allowed 1/4 inch on matched duels.
    It is also not allowed to run a bias next to a radial. I have ran a bias at 75 lbs next to a radial at 110 Lbs because that was what we had. They did OK and thank that would probably work OK for you.
    85 pounds in the smaller radial and 120 in the other. Wear them out and move on.

Rideandrepair and Dino soar Thank this.
  6. RBP-SlingShot

RBP-SlingShot Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2020
    Wheels are mounted together, both must turn the same speed. Larger tire is taking more of the load and it is illegal.

7. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Well I swapped them so the larger set is with the larger set and the smaller set is with the smaller set so we'll see how that works out.

Hopefully I'll be able to run them like that for however long because the set on the back axle is matched and all of the tires have plenty of tread.

Then when it's time I can just buy all brand new drives for both axles.

Thanks for all the replies.

Rideandrepair, BoxCarKidd and lester Thank this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Source?

9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I don’t know the legalities, but wonder about the effect on rears. I’m currently running 2 worn out drives one side of front axle, and 2 with good tread. I plan on buying new steers, and putting old ones back. I’ve done this quite a bit, with this Truck, over the last 11 yrs. I’ve only bought 1 new set of drives. Always kept matched heights on rear axle, slight mid matched on front axle. Axles have over 2 mil miles, so I’d say it hasn’t affected the front axle much if any. From what I’ve learned here though, it can damage the gears. I know one thing from my experience in used tires.On a Trailer mismatched tires together will put flat spots on the shorter one very fast, in a few thousand miles, shorter tires shot, same with river wear, or side tread wear. Like a flat spot, The tires only as good as the lowest tread. However, on a drive, the river wear doesn’t get worse, and the shorter tire doesn’t get flat spots like it does on a trailer. I’ve been told it’s due to torque, vs the freewheeling trailer. I’ve suspected bad shocks on trailer vs. good shocks on Truck. Still doesn’t explain the river wear. I put an old steer with a very low edge tread on my Drives,expecting it to only last a short time. But it never got worse. Ran it out, till all treads were worn. Dino’s been running those Drives for a little while now. I see no flat spots on the shorter one. Not even step wear. What does it all mean? I don’t know.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  10. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Tire wear never corrects itself on a free rolling tire. The torque on the drives makes that difference.
    Damage to the rears is a much longer subject. Smoking duels in a mud hole is a lot worse the running tires a bit mismatched. When one side spins and the other does not the wheel speed doubles. On a single axle at 20 mph on the gauge the spinning wheels are running 40. A tandem has another set of spider gears in the power divider so it doubles again. Wheel speed is 80. Heat build up is rapid. Oil gets scorched and parts do not last long with out oil.

11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Tridrive would be 160! :eek:

Rideandrepair and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.