Trying the Pre-Plan experiment

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by trucking.shine, Oct 16, 2017.

1. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah the price a load covers at is determined by a few factors, but generally they start out low and slowly rise as they approach the moment it has to ship. Booking way out in advance is for relocating trucks to repairs/hometime/other freight commitments that really pay the bills. You definitely don't want to be booking faster than the day before under any circumstances, and the less you care where next is the longer you should wait.

There are few things better than having a driver willing to go anywhere in Chicago at 4pm in the afternoon on a Friday. That dude is getting PAID.

EDIT: Obviously the longer you wait the more you risk all the good freight just drying up for the day. I'm not advocating booking at 4pm every day, particularly in unfamiliar markets, but if you're genuinely flexible look to get paid for being flexible.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    izifaddag and trucking.shine Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. trucking.shine

trucking.shine Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2017
    This is the schedule for this week. Even though I didn't follow your advice and went ahead and booked loads in Bad Markets, I think I found some decent rates for them.
    • Truck#1:
      • Load#1: from Missouri City, TX to Robert, LA (377 mi @ $720 & P:10-23 | D:10-24)
      • Load#2: from Plaquemine, LA to Painted Post, NY (1,435 mi @ $2,550 & P:10-24 | D:10-27)
      • Load#3: from Towanda, PA to Kissimmee, FL (1,175 mi @ $3,200 & P:10-27 | D:10-29)
    • Truck #2:
      • Load#1: from Spoke Valley, WA to Harahan, LA (2,397 mi @ $4,200 & P:10-23 | D:10-26)
      • Load#2: from St. Francisville, LA to York, PA (1,309 mi @ $2,200 & P:10-26 | D:10-28)
    Anyhow, I think this is going to be the end of the experiment, and after this week we'll be back at Booking the loads very close to the moment the drivers are empty. Thanks to your feedback we're going to analyze what's the best option for us and put your advise into practice.

izifaddag Thanks this.
  4. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I largely ignore the posted rates. I refuse to ever pull for less than $2.00. When I call on a load, I always start high, say $3.25+ even if it goes to a good area. I have a lot of room to work with (they don't know that). About 20% of the time I actually get my high bid.

5. trucking.shine

trucking.shine Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2017
    @nightgunner a forgot to ask earlier. What do you think is the benefit of pre-planning? Since you are one of the few that do it and still earn good money while doing it.

6. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    The benefit for me is that I don't worry about rushing at the last second to find a load. That being said, it doesn't always work out. My plan for this week got rearranged due to a shipper shutting down early.
    Good clear communication is the key to success. At the first hint of a problem, CALL everyone that may be impacted. A phone call can solve a myriad of trouble.

trucking.shine Thanks this.
  7. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
  8. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    This. This times a thousand. I swear, I'd love it so much if more carriers took the time to do this. I can't help you salvage your weekend plan by getting the consignee to budge on a time if you don't let me know you're going to be way late until fifteen minutes before you show up.

9. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Dear God those rates are atrocious !!

THIS is what's killing this industry !! Do not haul this garbage freight !!

10. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    The FL-FL freight is trash because it wastes valuable time for no money. When the load is done you're still in FL and that doesn't do anyone any good.

I don't hate the NJ load, not a fan of the Jessup. I think it's probably better to just deadhead to Atlanta and get something to the midwest or the northeast from there. Probably make more total money weirdly. I bet Atlanta-Jessup pays 1500 at least.

izifaddag and KB3MMX Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.