Turbo help !!!

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Nando85, Nov 11, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak

The comp is still sucking there, so if pumping air, it would be doubtful oil could go towards the turbo.
    Some high performance gearheads, claim even directly off the intake it uses a little bit of turbo manifold pressure, so pipe the comp intake directly to the air cleaner pipe.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Yes that oil is from a bad turbo.

I was just letting the guys know that cummins now has their air compressor suction before the turbo instead of after like they where thinking some detroits has.

4. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Usually when you have a catastrophic turbo failure (broken shaft and compressor/turbine wheel failure) and your replacement turbo fails shortly after, you did not get all foreign objects removed. When that compressor wheel explodes, it sends sharapenal everywhere. Usually the intake tract is not fully cleaned. The hot pieces will embed in the rubber elbows and if not fully removed will damage your new turbo.
    Every seems to think the rings in the center rotating assembly seal oil, but they seal gas. Oil is keep out of the housing by a ground raised radius and oil slingers. Here is a good picture of it. Screenshot_20191113-084231.png

5. Nando85

Nando85 Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2017
    What do you guys recommend cleaning the charge air cooler it was brand new also ??

6. Nando85

Nando85 Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2017

7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Radiator shop needs to boil it out, cleaning it yourself is pretty much impossible, due to the open tube design.Its not expensive.But you’ll need to remove it, take it in.

8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    You want to clean all the hoses, tubes, from air cleaner(s) to intake, along with the cac, or ata, whatever it’s called, Lol

spsauerland Thanks this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve blown 2, first time oil went through the cac, 2 Nd time, only a little bit into hose, so I didn’t bother boiling it out. In your case, your new cac has been getting oil through it, from what I’ve been told it will settle in the lower part of cac, and block good air flow, air cooling. Causing problems.

10. Nando85

Nando85 Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2017
    I don't have a boost gauge what do you guys recommend I get for that to keep eye on turbo

11. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    You need a boost gauge, lets you know how everything’s working, Also,if you get a fuel problem/ air or a restriction, boost will be low. It’s a good tool. Also a pyrometer ( exaust temp) gauge, so you can keep temps down, while lugging up a hill, to prolong the life of turbo.Pyro gauge is easy, you’ll need a new pipe, on exaust side of turbo, or drill a hole, and weld a nut onto existing pipe, for the temp sensor. I don’t know how to add a boost gauge. Can’t be too hard.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.