Using Generator

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by bignick, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Sly Fox

Sly Fox Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2009
    That's not 'directly'. It soaks into the sponge in the air filter. Liquid fuel does not reach a carburetor in this generator. It also has an on-off switch at the filter, otherwise it would eventually leak out through the filter or at worse evaporate through the air filter, which is open to the outside. The carburetor is above the air filter housing.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Does your generator have a "choke?"

4. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    blah blah, blah blah blah.......
    Numerous DOT inspections, never even been mentioned.
    The EU3000is does however have a shut off valve, which is off when not in use.

Martin

5. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I think folks are just straining at this issues a little too hard. In over 3 decades, I have never heard of DOT having a cow over portable generators on commercial trucks, unless there was something stupid the driver did in securing it or the fuel or something else. I have seen countless portable generators in various locations on commercial trucks. The regs on this is not that hard to understand, and is easy to comply with. Just because some toad with a badge and a gun hasn't read it himself in the regs doesn't mean anything. And what he "feels" about it is not pertinent. A portable generator, and the fuel to power it, are allowed within the guidelines of the regulations. And unless a petcock on the fuel line that can be easily seen that it is a gravity fed unit, no one is going to tear the generator apart and waste a lot of time trying to see if it is a gravity fed unit or not, especially on the fully enclosed units from Honda and Yamaha that are being discussed. Now the open frame portables, it would be easy to see what they are.

Now when someone tries to strap a miniature nuclear reactor to their rig, they might be in trouble.

leftlanetruckin and Cetane+ Thank this.
  6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    There are all kinds of trailers that have the same small gas motor setup used to power generators for various equipment, or hydraulics for lifts or RGNs, etc. A truck-mounted generator, installed properly should be a non-issue.

blanco Thanks this.
  7. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    it is rare to find anything but ohv valve engines on generators today, unless its an old one . the carbs on these are float type in most cases, a good many of em also have pulse type fuel pumps that operate off the crankcase pulse, created by the piston going up and down , compression past the rings etc.

its even how the old briggs flatheads operated . the pulse on a diaphragm.

if one is really concerned about the gravity situation, that could easily be rectified if your unit doesn't have a pump. a 15 dollar diaphragm pump , a fitting to hook a hose to the crankcase( you replace one of the oil filler holes with this fitting). the hook the tube from tank to the inlet side side , the tube from the carb to the outlet side and boom you got a pump instead of a gravity feed.

but as many have said I have never heard or seen anyone be checked or raked over the coals for a generator, I think that rumor is right up there with you can tear pages out of a logbook

8. skateboardman

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    if ya got fuel soaking the air filter I think there is a problem, what brand generator and motor is this?

9. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    393.65 when they say directly feed they mean like a 3.5 hp Briggs where the carb is directly mounted to the tank. You need an external tank seperated with a fuel line. The tank has to securely mounted and not extend past the body line.

There's more specifics in the next regulation. Many of these generators are 5 hp and have an external tank which is suitable.

The purpose is to keep leaks and tank ruptures being exposed to a hot source like the muffler. Also permanently mounted tanks have to meet ANSI standards and have a label or stamp.

10. skateboardman

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    condo the briggs engine you described was the flathead type, they still weren't gravity feed. they operated off a diaphragm in the side of the carb, when you pulled the rope the diaphragm pulse as they engine turned over thus pumping fuel.

many time the diaphragm would get a small hole and the engine wouldn't start, and would get thrown away or junked. the quickest way to start one of these is to take off the cap and blow in the tank it will prime it right up. old 5hp briggs racing trick

11. Bigdaddy00

Bigdaddy00 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Nashville Transplant
    I use a 12k BTU portable from Lowe's for $400 with a 4 year warranty for $50.

$45 Fuel pump from Mr Gasket.

A $430 Champion generator 3500 watt, with electric start and Wireless remote start.

And a 6 gallon marine tank.

I can get 30 hrs out of the 6 gallon and the 3.8 gallon tanks.

Cost to run 24 hrs is $20.

Both the Gen and Ac both have wireless promotes.

Also a $30 battery charger for running battery power longer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.