usx

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by bestdjsnc, Dec 7, 2008.

1. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    You could also do it by yourself by using alligator clips and doing a bypass which was dangerous because the truck would not shift out of gear while the bypass was in place. But I know of a few drivers that did it when ever they got out in places like west Texas or North Dakota

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kingsson

kingsson Heavy Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    65 is the answer given by a recruiter last week. I was checking out their lease program. Didn't like what I was reading, and really don't like the idea of an automatic. I was reflecting on this the other day coming down the mountain on US322 in Pennsylvania - low gear with full jakes - and wondering how that would be if a COMPUTER was deciding what gear I should be in... :-(

4. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    you can select "LOW" on the shifter going down hills and that puppy will gear down WAYY early revving up to 2200 rpm for max braking power. (according to the sticker on my dash). it will slow ya down in a hurry, good for those short get off ramps too, when heavy!!

5. bigblue19

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    and really don't like the idea of an automatic. I was reflecting on this the other day coming down the mountain on US322 in Pennsylvania - low gear with full jakes - and wondering how that would be if a COMPUTER was deciding what gear I should be in... :sad:

The trucks do not have "automatic" transmissions. They are auto-shift transmissions. You can put it in a gear and put it on hold and it will stay in that gear. Or you can put it in Low and it will only downshift and not up-shift.

Drove auto-shifts for 7 years and drove all 48 and Canada and all seasons and never had a problem except once when I had to drive from St Louis to OKC in ninth gear.:yes2557:

Big Duker Thanks this.
  6. kingsson

kingsson Heavy Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Thanks. I wondered. I think their "lease" more fits the "fleece" category, though. I carefully read all the info they went, and all I could think is "hey, this ain't my first rodeo." Can't imagine all the new folks that get hooked into these - especially in this economy!

7. bigblue19

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    I have leased 3 vehicles for commercial use but never through the company I worked for. I just don't see putting all your eggs in one basket as a wise business move. If your willing to put in the effort you can make more money running your own equipment, but must realize that things change such as costs, and will you as a operator be in a position to put out extra effort in the face of extra cost.

In most cases the amount of effort needed to operate your own equipment does not give one much flexibility when costs go up to produce more so you must be able to stay on budget through the good times and bad.

I remember seeing drivers at accounts I worked at driving lifted 4x4's and new BMW's within weeks of the account opening and then panicking when unforeseen repairs or claims needed to be paid for.

Any truck lease should be inspected by people who have knowledge in lease agreements to make sure before you sign that it is feasible. I have yet to present my account with a lease agreement from a trucking company that would work for my needs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.