yard drivers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by mustang08driver, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    you couldnt pay me enough to jockey all day...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigJohn54

BigJohn54 Gone, but NEVER forgotten

May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri

I have no doubt it will be better when you shed your trainer. Hang in there for awhile and give it a chance to shake out!

4. BigJohn54

BigJohn54 Gone, but NEVER forgotten

May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri

Me either. Way too boring.

If you want some good reading, check up on drivers leaving OTR to take local positions. It is amazing the percentage that go back to OTR. Some for pay but most so they aren't too tired to do something when they're home.

5. EddieSC

EddieSC Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Dude, trust me! It gets SOOOO much easier once you're done with the trainers. I had the same issue when I was in training. I was SO close to just saying "#### it" and getting on a bus back home to go work as a mechanic or something. My girlfriend talked me into not walking out though and I'm glad she did.

Once I got out on my own, I totally fell in love with my new career.

Just work through it, man. Things will get easier once you become "your own boss" as it were.

6. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    You'd be much better off to stick it out. You've got to figure you're only going up from where you're at. Pay for dock workers depended on the union. If the shop is non-union then they will pay what they can get away with. And most times it's peanuts. Just about all dock workers will say they are doing that job so they can drive OTR. You're already there and almost done with your training. If you don't like being away from home then I would suggest that you just stick it out for a year or two so you can gain the experience and get a local driving job. Either way, you never want to go backwards and you don't want to quit until you have another job.

BigJohn54 Thanks this.
  7. Freebird135

Freebird135 Road Train Member

May 7, 2009
    In the air conditioning
    gonna have to disagree with that one.......i went from dock to driving and i talk to dockworkers at alot of the places i go to...........most say they have no desire to drive, if they even speak enough english to talk to me that is

8. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    You're right, I should have said at the better companies.

BigJohn54 Thanks this.
  9. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nope, and it's not easy either. I did it for awhile at Costco in Tolleson. If it's a busy place like a big DC, you'll run your ##### off. It was nothing to have 50+ trailer moves in one shift.

10. Kkmayer0929

Kkmayer0929 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Do you need to hold a cdl to be a yard dog? Or just a regular license?

11. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Depends on Company policy really. If there is any chance you’ll touch a public road then you must have a cdl.

Btw. Nice job opening a thread from 2011

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.