Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    1,254
    Thanks
    566
    Thanked: 282 Times

    questions about factory CB antenna wiring in Freightliner Century Class and Cascadia

    Just curious how they wire the antenna cables in these trucks. Im currently in an '06 Century and cant figure out if both antenna mounts on the mirrors are both used for the CB. The reason for asking is some CB shop guy I talked to said that some trucks use the right-side antenna as the AM/FM radio antenna and the left side is for the CB. Well, my truck has its own dedicated antenna for the stereo on the driverside where the stacks would be if it had them. I figure in this case that both mirror-antenna mounts are for the CB since I am only using the right side for my CB. Reason being, I was having really bad results with my CB and found out that a possible reason was because the driver-side antenna mount was missing the little nylon washer that goes between the mount and the place on the mirror where it mounts to. I decided to unhook the coax underneath the bottom mirror mount and only use the right side. It seems to work a little better, but its still kinda poor. I thought about getting a sheap SWR meter and some aftermarket cable and antenna mount for better results but since Im getting a new truck, I figured why bother.

    As for the Cascadia I might be getting, Ive noticed that the only antennas Ive seen are the two on the sides of the sleeper. Are these the ones that CB shop guy told me that the driver side is for the CB and the other for the stereo?


  2. #2
    "Instigator of the Legend"
    Member Since
    May 2009
    Location
    The Who's Your State
    Trucker?
    11 Years
    Posts
    4,358
    Thanks
    5,011
    Thanked: 2,391 Times
    My Truckers Blog
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Just curious how they wire the antenna cables in these trucks. Im currently in an '06 Century and cant figure out if both antenna mounts on the mirrors are both used for the CB. The reason for asking is some CB shop guy I talked to said that some trucks use the right-side antenna as the AM/FM radio antenna and the left side is for the CB. Well, my truck has its own dedicated antenna for the stereo on the driverside where the stacks would be if it had them. I figure in this case that both mirror-antenna mounts are for the CB since I am only using the right side for my CB. Reason being, I was having really bad results with my CB and found out that a possible reason was because the driver-side antenna mount was missing the little nylon washer that goes between the mount and the place on the mirror where it mounts to. I decided to unhook the coax underneath the bottom mirror mount and only use the right side. It seems to work a little better, but its still kinda poor. I thought about getting a sheap SWR meter and some aftermarket cable and antenna mount for better results but since Im getting a new truck, I figured why bother.

    As for the Cascadia I might be getting, Ive noticed that the only antennas Ive seen are the two on the sides of the sleeper. Are these the ones that CB shop guy told me that the driver side is for the CB and the other for the stereo?
    The Freightshakers and Volvo's use a co-phase system that use a junction box for the cb/amf/fm. Both antenna's run both. The coax goes to a distribution box that splits the signal out. Best bet is to run your own piece of coax and get a "pre-tuned antenna" such as a francis or something and mount it yourself on the mirror bracket. You'll get much better results. I assume the cascadia is the same but don't know for sure.

  3. #3
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    1,254
    Thanks
    566
    Thanked: 282 Times
    Where else can you put an antenna on a Cascadia since the mirrors dont really have a place to mount them to?

  4. #4
    Road Train Member Powder Joints's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Rosamond
    Trucker?
    30 Years
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,008
    Thanks
    86
    Thanked: 1,518 Times
    My Truckers Blog
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Where else can you put an antenna on a Cascadia since the mirrors dont really have a place to mount them to?
    On a Columbia the right antenna is used for the cb and the am/fm. There is a tuning box in the lead running to the right mirror for adjust the am/fm. Easy to prove, turn on the am/fm tune in a station, now pull off the right antenna and your stereo will go away. I use the right antenna mount with a 2' francis for the stereo and run my own antenna, mount and coax to the left mirror.

    On the Cascadia there is a rail for supporting the airlines on the rear of the cab, this is where the guys in our company mount antennas. We pull tankers that are not high like a box, but I don't know of a lot of options.

  5. #5
    Rat
    Rat is offline
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rats nest Grafton North Dakota
    Trucker?
    10 Years
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,503
    Thanks
    313
    Thanked: 1,384 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Just curious how they wire the antenna cables in these trucks. Im currently in an '06 Century and cant figure out if both antenna mounts on the mirrors are both used for the CB. The reason for asking is some CB shop guy I talked to said that some trucks use the right-side antenna as the AM/FM radio antenna and the left side is for the CB. Well, my truck has its own dedicated antenna for the stereo on the driverside where the stacks would be if it had them. I figure in this case that both mirror-antenna mounts are for the CB since I am only using the right side for my CB. Reason being, I was having really bad results with my CB and found out that a possible reason was because the driver-side antenna mount was missing the little nylon washer that goes between the mount and the place on the mirror where it mounts to. I decided to unhook the coax underneath the bottom mirror mount and only use the right side. It seems to work a little better, but its still kinda poor. I thought about getting a sheap SWR meter and some aftermarket cable and antenna mount for better results but since Im getting a new truck, I figured why bother.

    As for the Cascadia I might be getting, Ive noticed that the only antennas Ive seen are the two on the sides of the sleeper. Are these the ones that CB shop guy told me that the driver side is for the CB and the other for the stereo?
    Well to answer your first question. The reason why your setup is not working properly is due to not having an antenna on the right side. It is a cophased setup and you have to have two antennas installed on a cophased setup. See a single setup uses 50 ohm coax while a cophased setup uses two 75 ohm coax leads. Using a single antenna and just unhooking one of the coax cables on a cophased setups will mess with the swr and mess with the performance of the radio.


    Now alot of newer trucks use what they call a multiplexer box. Both antennas serve as Cb antennas along with being AM/FM antennas. You have to have matching antennas on both sides for it to work properly. It does not matter what antenna you use with these multiplexer type systems. The AM/FM radio could careless what you are using for an antenna.

    I don't care for the sleeper mounted setups on some of these trucks. The antenna mounts are so low on the sleeper that very little of the antenna is above the roof line and the antenna is so close to the side of the truck that you get a huge amount of reflect which messes with the SWR and performance of the radio. You can't hardly put a longer antenna on them to get the majority of the antenna above the roof line without fear of taking out low flying aircraft.

  6. #6
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    May 2012
    Location
    Grandville, Mi
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked: 3 Times
    I drive an 07 freightliner Columbia. The driver side cb antenna is snapped off , I have the passenger side stock one still on. I was wondering if I needed to use the same style antenna on the drivers side or if I could repair that one with a 3k watt coil antenna? Any help our advice would be great. Thank you in advance.

  7. #7
    Road Train Member EZ Money's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Charlotte,NC
    Trucker?
    30 Years
    Posts
    1,841
    Thanks
    964
    Thanked: 891 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselforce View Post
    I drive an 07 freightliner Columbia. The driver side cb antenna is snapped off , I have the passenger side stock one still on. I was wondering if I needed to use the same style antenna on the drivers side or if I could repair that one with a 3k watt coil antenna? Any help our advice would be great. Thank you in advance.
    Replace BOTH with the same antenna. The factory antennas are the worst ones you can use....they put the cheap ones on at the factory.
    Go with 2 Francis or tunable tip Wilsons.....They are not that expensive.
    No need for those 3000 watt antennas.......those are the oil filled ones? Not needed and a poor antenna.

    Myself i would run my own coax to one mirror and use a Wilson 2000. Easy to tune and will work way better than the co-phased factory crap.

  8. #8
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    May 2012
    Location
    Grandville, Mi
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked: 3 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ Money View Post
    Replace BOTH with the same antenna. The factory antennas are the worst ones you can use....they put the cheap ones on at the factory.
    Go with 2 Francis or tunable tip Wilsons.....They are not that expensive.
    No need for those 3000 watt antennas.......those are the oil filled ones? Not needed and a poor antenna.

    Myself i would run my own coax to one mirror and use a Wilson 2000. Easy to tune and will work way better than the co-phased factory crap.
    Thank you for the advice, what length would you recommend? I have seen 3 and 4 foot ones. I think there are 4ft ones on here now.

  9. #9
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Evansville In.
    Trucker?
    11 Years
    Age
    50
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 5 Times
    The company I work for has Cascadias, both sleeper and daycabs and I slipseat. I mounted my antenna on the air hose hanger bar for awhile, it worked ok but there was signal loss behind the trailer(dry box). I got to thinking there has to be a better way. I made a bracket and bolted 1/2 of a mirror mount with antenna onto it and mounted this onto the passenger door where that worthless mirror is supposed to go. tuned the antenna to 1.2 1.1 and 1.6. gets out and receives better than where it was. I run the coax down the door rubber and through the grommet on the lower right of the firewall. Then it comes up between the dash and door frame to the radio. My antenna is a k40 trucker.
    Last edited by wjm1129; 03.23.2013 at 04.45 PM.

  10. #10
    Road Train Member EZ Money's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Charlotte,NC
    Trucker?
    30 Years
    Posts
    1,841
    Thanks
    964
    Thanked: 891 Times
    If wanting to stay with fiberglass then these work well.

    http://www.amazon.com/WILSON-305-486.../dp/B003H3G21S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast