Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Columbia,SC
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked: 2 Times

    A foreign truck driver in usa

    Hi everybody



    I'm a truck driver for 3 years but I have no experience driving a truck in USA,

    last week I passed the test and got my CDL -A......but I have been Failed 3 times for writing test because my English is bad anyways, now I have CDL class A and I'm looking for a job!

    my questions for you guys

    Do I need to speak English very good to be able for this career?

    Can I drive over the road by using A GPS it safe? or I should used maps all times!

    your advice guys please for which truck company should I start with in southeast?


    Please excuse my English!


    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Road Train Member DirtyBob's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Trucker?
    WannaBe
    Posts
    1,689
    Thanks
    589
    Thanked: 1,121 Times
    I don't know, sometimes I wonder if me speaking English actually makes it harder to do this job in the US.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DirtyBob For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Banned or Retired
    Member Since
    May 2009
    Location
    In the air conditioning
    Trucker?
    2 Years
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,529
    Thanks
    1,289
    Thanked: 892 Times
    theres a lot of foreign drivers in the USA with limited english........and i hate when they ask me directions cuz i cant understand them and they cant understand me

  5. #4
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Norcross, GA
    Trucker?
    No
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked: 0 Times
    I do agree in general that people who don't know english well are a lot, including my own -Polish. For me it is a matter not only of communication but also of respect to the country you live in to know the culture and the language. But I really do not agree with the right of bearing arms. That's why every other week somebody is shooting in US schools. In Europe almost nobody bear arms. We have heavily armed police forces to protect us.

  6. #5
    Crusty Crab Mdbluecrab's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    White Plains, Maryland
    Trucker?
    EX-34 Years
    Age
    58
    Posts
    293
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked: 292 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by grozen View Post
    I do agree in general that people who don't know english well are a lot, including my own -Polish. For me it is a matter not only of communication but also of respect to the country you live in to know the culture and the language. But I really do not agree with the right of bearing arms. That's why every other week somebody is shooting in US schools. In Europe almost nobody bear arms. We have heavily armed police forces to protect us.
    Welcome to America. We love our country but have no trust in our government or the sleazy politicians that abuse it. Our forefathers saw this and gave us a protection....the right to bear arms.

  7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mdbluecrab For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Light Load Member Digitalwarrior's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Trucker?
    8 Years
    Posts
    120
    Thanks
    410
    Thanked: 103 Times
    I view English as the international language of commerce and trade. We have two "official languages" in Canada and it often ticks me when people ask me questions or speak to me without anything close to fluency in either one.

    If I chose to move to Poland as an example....I would literally work my ### off to learn Polish. That would simply be the right and respectful thing to do. I would, however, expect a little slack while learning. So, having said that.....as long as you are trying....I will work with you to communicate.

    I guess the real truth is.....I get flustered by people who have lived here for twenty years and can say nothing in English beyond, "Hello..Tank You...Bye Bye!!" I think you get the point.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Digitalwarrior For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Light Load Member Digitalwarrior's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Trucker?
    8 Years
    Posts
    120
    Thanks
    410
    Thanked: 103 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob85 View Post
    Hi everybody

    I'm a truck driver for 3 years but I have no experience driving a truck in USA,

    last week I passed the test and got my CDL -A......but I have been Failed 3 times for writing test because my English is bad anyways, now I have CDL class A and I'm looking for a job!

    my questions for you guys

    Do I need to speak English very good to be able for this career?

    Can I drive over the road by using A GPS it safe? or I should used maps all times!

    Good luck

    your advice guys please for which truck company should I start with in southeast?


    Please excuse my English!


    Thanks,

    Good Luck Bob and as far as the GPS is concerned....I use one as part of my "program." I would strongly suggest NOT to rely on them. Low bridge encounters being one example of where they may fail you. etc. etc. And sometimes my GPS just plain gives me whacked out routing!!!

  11. #8
    Light Load Member brar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Location
    CA
    Trucker?
    3 Years
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked: 3 Times
    My Truckers Blog
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob85 View Post
    Hi everybody

    I'm a truck driver for 3 years but I have no experience driving a truck in USA,

    last week I passed the test and got my CDL -A......but I have been Failed 3 times for writing test because my English is bad anyways, now I have CDL class A and I'm looking for a job!

    my questions for you guys

    Do I need to speak English very good to be able for this career?

    Can I drive over the road by using A GPS it safe? or I should used maps all times!

    your advice guys please for which truck company should I start with in southeast?


    Please excuse my English!


    Thanks,

    Kllm, Roehl, Usexpress, maverick and many more companies hire new drivers, just google them.

    as long as you can read signs, know where are you going to and understand gps directions, you shoud be fine.

    but do learn some english, it helps a lot.

    good luck

  12. #9
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Norcross, GA
    Trucker?
    No
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked: 0 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwarrior View Post
    I view English as the international language of commerce and trade. We have two "official languages" in Canada and it often ticks me when people ask me questions or speak to me without anything close to fluency in either one.

    If I chose to move to Poland as an example....I would literally work my ### off to learn Polish. That would simply be the right and respectful thing to do. I would, however, expect a little slack while learning. So, having said that.....as long as you are trying....I will work with you to communicate.

    I guess the real truth is.....I get flustered by people who have lived here for twenty years and can say nothing in English beyond, "Hello..Tank You...Bye Bye!!" I think you get the point.
    Ha...ha..hah...You are bloody right my friend. C'est la vie. Some people live here for 20 years and now nothing.

  13. #10
    Trucker Forum STAFF Allow Me.'s Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2009
    Location
    San Marcos, Ca./Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Trucker?
    32 Years
    Age
    68
    Posts
    7,355
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked: 4,432 Times
    English, yes....GPS, no....

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allow Me. For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •