Carter Express - My New Hom

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by iamchrisstone, Sep 15, 2014.

1. iamchrisstone

iamchrisstone Light Load Member

Mar 25, 2014
    I had another thread going and I guess a few people started arguing so admin closed it. SOOOOOO.... I'll make this short and you guys can ask more specific questions.

Carter Express in Anderson, Indiana has a program that they pay for you to go to SAGE at Ivy Tech in Muncie to get your CDL. They do not take anything out of your check for the schooling. They just ask that you work for them for 1 year. They do not pay you during your time at the school.

After you get your CDL you start orientation the following Monday and are immediately an employee. Orientation and training pays a flat rate. Orientation is 1 week, then you have 1 week of training with 2 different trainers with local runs. Then a total of 4 more weeks of training that may include local, regional and over the road (OTR) runs. Personally, I LOVED the training. You went through a bunch of different people so I never got bored or tired of one person.

After training you have a post orientation that includes getting your comdata card, go over a few rules again, get your truck assigned to you and talk with the OTR manager to see how you are going to run - usually the board.

I had a unique opportunity. I made a deal with them to run out of their Vandalia (Dayton, Ohio) terminal. Because of that, I got a new Freightliner Cascadia Evolution and a sweet dedicated route.

My route is from Vandalia at 1:30am to Anderson terminal. I sit there for an hour or two to get loaded and then head down to Paragould, Arkansas. I do my 10 hour break there after I drop my trailer, pick up my new trailer and head back to Vandalia without stopping in Anderson. On the weekends I can stop in Anderson to see family since my freight doesn't need to be back to our cross dock until Monday. This run is a 3/2 run. We run it twice one week and three times the next. So, one week I'll go down Wednesday and Friday (retun on Thursday and Saturday) and the next week I will run down on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

The company really does take care of their people, their trucks and their routes. It may not be the highest paid, but they take care of you and you will ALWAYS have freight to run, if you are willing to run.

Another sweet thing for those who want it. Most runs and routes will have you home every other day. Maybe once every 3 days for the long ones. So those who like to be home often, this is perfect for them. Those that don't want to be home and just want to keep it moving, that's totally possible too.

I'm having a blast! Wish I would have jumped into this when I was 21.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

The Challenger and Skydivedavec Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dennisroc

dennisroc Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea
    Does Carter Express do all 48 states and Canada or Mexico and what about New York ?

When I visited the office in Anderson, In they gave me a flyer that says .3150 - .3750 cpm to start. Can you say what you started at and what determines how much you make to start ?

Is your new Freightliner also automatic ?

Do you think they have more dedicated routes available or was it as you say a unique opportunity for you.

It is nice you get to stop in Anderson to visit family.

The Challenger Thanks this.
  4. iamchrisstone

Mar 25, 2014
    Yes all 48 states but u have to work certain termibals to hit certain states. You will start at .315 unless u run the board then youll make .325 cpm. Yes its auto. Yes dayton will always have dedicated i think. Anderson will be harder to get dedicated routes as a rookie.

5. dennisroc

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea
    I thought living in Kokomo, In. an hour away might be a lot of driving back and forth to Anderson but how do you do it with running out of Vandalia ( Dayton ) Ohio ?
    Do you live in Ohio or do you have to drive there. can you explain how that works.

6. iamchrisstone

Mar 25, 2014
    I just stay in the truck and go home on weekends

dennisroc Thanks this.
  7. dennisroc

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea
    Do you know if they have any dedicated that run through Kokomo In. or close to there ?

Where do you fuel and how often ?

When you take your 10 there are you at terminals or go to truck stops , wondered about showers and eating.

I checked your route on Google maps , just curious do you go through Indy on 70 or Cinci and Louisville way ?

Sounds like you have a really good thing going for you and sounds like a good place to work. Glad you are happy there.

8. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    This threads getting interesting. Locked in and subscribed. To the op, can you please post pics of your truck and interior pics please. Please do not post truck number unless its in a pm.

KH

dennisroc and iamchrisstone Thank this.
  9. sana5500

sana5500 Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Is it not difficult for you?

10. iamchrisstone

Mar 25, 2014
    not at all. trucks are nice and comfortable. the truck stop by the terminal is very clean and nice. terminal is full of great people.

dennisroc Thanks this.
  11. iamchrisstone

Mar 25, 2014
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.