01 volvo cummins n14 celect plus truck wont start at operating temp

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by markk50, Jul 29, 2016.

1. markk50

markk50 Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2016
    I'm a local steel hauler always maxed @48080lbs. on my way to a delivery i felt something not right, missing a little. Pulled into delivery and shut off truck. when i tried to restart truck it cranked &really wanted too start but didnt. Felt like it was a fuel problem so I removed the fuel filter which was somewhat low and filled it with diesel and truck started and remained running for 15 20 min then just shut off again. Changed filter and went thru a series of tests and came to a conclusion the problem must be electrical. I struggled and got it to my mechanic who put it on computer but it showed no codes active or stored. When truck is cool it'll start right up but once it gets to operating range and i shut it off it wont restart. It happened before and it was ecm so i borrowed an ecm and it still wouldnt start. Replaced cam sensor or all position sensor with no luck. Once truck heats up it'll shut off and not restart until it cools down. Any suggestions would be appreciated...thx

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    You placed this post in the for sale section. I have asked the mods to move this thread to the correct area (garage) where people post about service related questions

4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Possibly fuel shut off solenoid

5. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I agree, next time when it won't start, hit it lightly with a hammer and it should start right up.

Mine was doing the same thing except it wouldn't start in cold weather.

I tapped on the Fuel Shut Off Solenoid a few times and it started right up.

Also if you have a Davco Fuel Processor, you may want to clean out the inlet where the Check Ball Valve is, they could get debris in there and cause a starting problem or the Filter Screen in the ECM Cooling Plate.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. markk50

markk50 Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2016

7. markk50

markk50 Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Thinkn closer my fan clutch clicks on and off constantly, I read that my fan clutch,jake, and fuel selenoid all run together and if my ground isnt ground correctly it would try to ground thru the fan clutch and shut the fuel selenoid off...going after this now...what do you think?

8. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    The solenoid grounds to the pump. So if it has a bad ground then so would everything else including the starter. My guess is the coil is weak in the solenoid. When it gets hot it's not able to pull the puck back.

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  9. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Had exact same issue on n14, the ecm was having issues. I replace the ECM and Everything was good after that i finally figured it out after about 2500 in dealership expenses

10. markk50

markk50 Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Thank you guys for the responses. I went crazy the last few days trying to find the issue. I would start the truck and it would run, a little rough like a slight miss and when i'd shut off engine it wouldn't restart . I'd leave it alone for a few minutes and it would start right up and do the same thing. During this nightmare I actually wrenched the little nut off off the fuel solenoid and fuel poured out of it. I removed the solenoid and it was completed corroded on the inside. I replaced it and all's good restarts no problem but still running a little rough. Put it on the computer and shut down a injector at a time and #1 was malfunctioning. Will replace in the AM ...Hoping all will be good...Thx again

Dave_in_AZ, HopeOverMope and 062 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.