05 9400 ISX 400 issues

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by azreark1, Jan 25, 2016.

1. azreark1

azreark1 Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2016
    So i have a couple issues with the truck i just bought, it's an 05 9400 Eagle with ISX 400ST.

First problem is it has almost no power, has a hard time pulling 14k lbs up a hill. Starts perfectly fine, no long cranks, doesn't smoke, in neutral it revs just fine, no rough running except that it 'sounds' like the cylinders are running dry. I've replaced both fuel filters, and when i had the fuel manifold filter off i ran the lift pump to see how much fuel was going through it and barely a trickle came out, i'm thinking my lift pump is bad? I hear it run and can feel it running, but i know just because it's running doesn't mean it's pumping fuel. Can i install an aftermarket lift pump and pump past the stock lift pump? Or if i do this am i going to have to take the stock lift pump off?

Second problem is voltage, all my battery cables are run correctly, same with the alternator cables that i can see, i get 14v out of the alternator and to all my accessories, but not back to the batteries? Not sure how this would happen but it does, no matter what the alternator is doing, i only see approx 12.4 volts at the battery terminals. Any idea on a good place to start checking this one? I'm almost to the point of running another dedicated cable from the alternator to the battery box.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Check for boost leaks and for a plugged intake manifold pressure sensor. The lift pump is only really for quicker starts, only runs for 2 mins at start up. We have never installed any after market pumps for that, only the proper ones.

As for your battery cables, basics first. Make sure all your ends are good and clean. Also, do not forget about your ground cables, makes sure they are in good shape too!

4. azreark1

azreark1 Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Okay I'll look for boost leaks and a plugged sensor. So how does the ISX run then? I thought on all diesels, the lift pump fed the injection pump, and if the lift pump died then the injection pump usually quickly follows. I guess i need to get a pressure gauge and hook it up to the ports on the fuel manifold to make sure the mechanical pump is working.

And did that with the battery cables due to a hard start issue when i first got it. Brand new battery link wires and cables running to truck. Like i said, i'm getting good voltage everywhere on the truck except the battery box. Do you know exactly where the 2 cables coming off the alternator go? I tried tracing them but they go into the plastic wire wrap stuff and i don't want to open it up yet.

5. azreark1

azreark1 Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Also i was just looking at the side of the engine, why in the HECK does the intake piping right before the engine go from 4" piping down to like 1-1/2" piping then back up to 3"?!

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Your engine will have two fuel pumps. The electric lift pump is just to help charge the fuel pressure to the main fuel pump to help it start faster. The main fuel pump is not an injection pump, just a higher pressure gear driven gear pump. It sucks fuel like any regular pump does, so once the primer pump stops it doesn't need it. The main gear pump is just a gear pump and the fuel pressure is regulated to about 260 psi. The injection is controlled by pulsing fuel metering solenoid at the right time to the injectors, and they are fired mechanically.

At the alternator, one cable will go to feed the cab at the firewall, the other will go to the starter positive post with dual fusible links, usually light blue in colour. Make sure they are in good shape.

Your engine should be the EGR emissions version. The difference in piping size is to create a venturi effect to allow egr to be drawn into the intake.

jlawall and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.