05 Columbia Throttle Dieing, speed decreasing.

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by lciambotti1, Aug 27, 2016.

1. lciambotti1

lciambotti1 Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    I have an issue where I am rolling down the highway (governor set at 70 MPH). The truck begins to slow down and the check engine comes on. Lift on the pedal and the light goes off. No codes. The truck continues to slow down with the engine light coming off and on as the pedal is depressed then lifted. Stop and start out and its like I have 100K pounds on my back. If I let the truck sit for awhile it will run fine again till for maybe a week or more. Any thoughts? Maybe the throttle sensor? ECM? BCM? By the way the engine is a Detroit.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Get yourself to a dealer freightliner or a company shop. If anything a TA might help.

You need to have a code from inside the engine or at least a set of symptoms that can be traced to root cause.

A situation I could think of would be that you ran out of fuel in one tank and the other is not opened due to a recent service perhaps as happened to me once. Another would be a failure in your intercooler line to the turbo or a leak somewhere along. A third would be a gauge such as oil pressure dropping down lower and lower indicating a leak of engine oil internally into your cooling fluids inside your engine. Many things are possible.

Only a shop can tell for sure. Having a internet diagonise for you is pretty much speculation.

4. lciambotti1

lciambotti1 Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    I had it to a Detroit shop when it happened. Unfortunately they let it sit till the next morning then couldn't recreate the issue. Ran fine on their dyno. No new codes either. Fuel tanks about 3/4 full. I guess I may have to take it to a Freightliner shop.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ugh. I hate it when Mr Murphy declares no issues when the wrenches take a look at something.

6. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    What kind of fuel lines do you have? Kind of sounds like a fuel line collapsing on the inside.

7. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    What were the inactive codes when it was plugged in?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.