09 prostar, power windows and center panel switch packs stop working.

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by mariogh, Jul 14, 2015.

1. mariogh

mariogh Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2014
    Sometimes as soon as I start the truck, the power windows (both doors) and center panel switches don't work. Other times they randomly just stop working while driving. All the time the power door lock/unlock buttons are working. When this happened for the first time, I discovered that pressing the power door lock or unlock buttons would make everything work again.
    For the last couple of months the door lock/unlock trick does not always fix the problem ( lock/unlock buttons still working).
    Anybody had this problem before? Different mechanics had a look at it and don't know what is the cause.
    Thank you for your help!
    The truck is an International Prostar '09 with 850k. I bought it last year with 760k.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The door pods and switch packs communicate on the same 1708 private data link. Sounds like something is corrupting the datalink to cause your problem.

4. mariogh

mariogh Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2014
    Do you think changing the datalink would fix it? Or do you have any ideas on where to look for the cause?

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    It is either a faulty door pod or switch pack, or wiring. You can try to remove and unplug the passenger door pod for a while and see if the problem goes away or not, then repeat with the drivers door pod. If the problem is still there I would suspect wiring. Do you know how datalink wiring works?

mariogh Thanks this.
  6. mariogh

mariogh Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2014
    I tried unpluging the driver door pod for a while, and the problem did not go away. The passenger side I did not test yet.
    I have no idea how the datalink wiring works.
    My friend is driving the truck this week and he just found out that the problem might be coming from the wiring just to the left of the clutch pedal, under that plastic...When stepping on that side harder , the center panel switches start acting like the Christmas lights. Also, if the buttons don't work, a small kick in that area would fix the problem.
    Most likely it is a wire, like you said. I will take a closer look, and post an update about what I find. Thank you for your help!

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The body controller or cab computer, is located behind that plastic panel to the left of the clutch pedal. It is a known bad spot because all the wiring goes through there and there isn't enough room for it all. Don't kick too hard, LOL! You can break the motherboard inside it!

QUALITYTRUCK and mariogh Thank this.
  8. mariogh

mariogh Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2014
    Thanks for the info. I thought it's just some wires. I will be more careful.

9. HDDaHDDave0113

HDDaHDDave0113 Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2015
    I have a 2015 prostar with exactly the same issue's, this truck is a day cab with 20000 miles on it. Please advise

10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I had one last week that did this and I had to unplug the passenger door pod and then plug it back in. I was also getting a passenger door pod remote keyless entry module missing code even though the power locks were still working. Everything worked after that. The door pods can get locked up and take down the datalink between them and the switch pack.

11. mariogh

mariogh Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2014
    Update : There were some exposed wires under the plastic just to the left of the clutch pedal. After cleaning it and wrapping it with electrical tape, the problem seems to be fixed. A lot of dirt under that plastic, and I believe that somehow water gets in there too. Really bad design.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.