13 Speed Splitter Valve Replacement

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by preppypyro, May 28, 2015.

1. preppypyro

preppypyro Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Hey there, Im having issues with my splitter on my 13 speed. The truck sat over the winter, worked perfect before it was parked, and now, the splitter isnt working. I can be going along and when I hit the splitter, and let off the pedal, it feels like the transmission goes into neutral (so to speak, its still in gear) and wont shift. What i do then, is put the shifter back into the neutral position, and slide the button back, and it goes back into gear. So far it works in the low end of the split, but not the high end (if that makes sense)

So what I have done so far, is I drained the oil out of the transmission, and i have taken apart the splitter at the back of the transmission apart as much as I can, cleaned and lubed it up a little, put it back together, and still the same thing. (just triple checking, but the splitter is at the drivers side, lower part of the transmission, and the range valve is on the passengers side at the top, correct?)

Im thinking my next step is to take apart the back part of the transmission and dig into this issue, maybe replace some of the splitter valve parts so i can get this thing working correctly.

I just wanted to hear any thoughts, or advice before I tear it all apart, and to those that have had the back part off of the transmission, what am I up against?

Im hoping to do this with the tranny in the truck, if possible. Ive taken a few transmissions out of these trucks before, and although it wasnt the toughest thing in the world to do, it was a pain in the ###!

Any thoughts or advice or whatnot welcome! Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Are you sure its getting air from shifter switch when its moved into hi. position

4. preppypyro

Sep 10, 2013
    Yes its getting air. When I air up the truck, then turn the truck off, and play around, I can hear the air exhausting when I move the button back and forth. When I took it apart, there was air coming from the filter as well, so im assuming that is ok.

I didnt actually check the psi coming from the shifter though.

5. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Check the psi after the filter, that's far more likely to be a problem than the switch.

wore out Thanks this.
  6. preppypyro

Sep 10, 2013
    Would the air psi coming from the filter, not keep the transmission in the low split? Basically meaning, if its in low, and stays in low, then that air supply would be working? Or do I have that backwards?

7. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    No I don"t quite understand. Does it ever make the shift or not? Yes your shift cylinders are located as assumed. Do you mean you actually saw inside the cylinder for the shift piston and it looks good? Does it not have a brass looking nut on the side of the housing? Those have a shuttle valve in them that may be bad. System pressure should be about 60 PSI. What is the model number?

8. preppypyro

Sep 10, 2013
    It used to make the shift, but right now it doesn't. It seems like it wants to make the shift, but just goes into a neutral state. Like if I'm 12th and try to use the splitter to go into 13th, it won't go. (Or whatever the high gear is called)

Yes the shift cylinder looks good, it was a little tight, but I put a little lube in there and it seemed to move nicely. It does have the brass nut with the valve, I forgot to mention I did replace that all ready, and it does work.

Not sure of the exact model number on the tranny, will try and look for thay and post up.

I was hoping by saying a late 90s truck, that would help determine the model number haha

9. beemergary

beemergary Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2014
    I'd take it out and manually see if it got full travel.

10. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    90s haha: My wife says I have some diseases. CS: disease-can't spell. SH: I have loss of hearing, she means selective hearing. CRS disease: Can't remember shi, I mean stuff. However if I recall correctly some fullers used air on both sides of the piston at the same time. The side opposite the shaft has more surface area and would push the shaft in the other direction. A bad o-ring between the piston and shaft or cylinder could possibly do this. They can be replaced without losing fluid by backing the nut off some and appling air to the front side of the piston to blow the piston back on the shaft. Then take the nut off get the piston out and replace o-rings. Locktite the nut. Sounds a bit like a syro. problem but check out the air system first, the sync. should not change in storage but the air systems likely would. I can not find the 90's trk saying but regardless of of the year one needs to know the model because the young folks tell me there is a lot of swapping going on these days. If your model has tapered countershaft bearings R&R the back box in the truck requires special snake charming tools. Some later models require removing the top plate in order to pull the back box but I don't know if any of them were 13's.

11. preppypyro

Sep 10, 2013
    Thanks for all the help fellas. An odd turn of events happened, someone came around and out of the blue offered to buy my truck. He bought it with the splitter as is. He was playing around with the button, and he did get it to shift a few times. Im thinking I musnt have cleaned it out as good as I thought?

Anyways thanks again, and I wish I would have been able to repair it to report back what it was.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.