1989 Peterbilt 379

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by turboguy, Aug 9, 2015.

1. turboguy

turboguy Light Load Member

May 16, 2015
    I have 1989 Peterbilt 379 with a CAT 3406B the total miles on the truck is 1 million
    the motor was in-framed at 700k miles

I have driven it around locally and she seems to run nicely but not on the highway yet.

With the mileage that the truck has are there any parts that I should be concerned about needing to be replaced soon?

260REM Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    Rear ends...Drain fluids and remove pumpkin and inspect teeth. Check the rear end filter also (if it has one).
    fFifth wheel stretch test? You will need a special tool to check that. Napa has one. But if you don't know how to inspect them, pay someone. You don't wanna lose a trailer.
    Trans? drain and inspect fluid. Is it sloppy?
    Electrical wire inspection for the harness? Check for chaffing on wires that cause shorts? USually a 1500$ job for a new one installed.
    Cooling system? Water pump? Water lines dry and cracked? Clamps old and rusty? You'll need all new ones.
    in-frame include all the engine accessories? Ac compressor, alternator, Fan hub, turbo, air to air system ..
    Then how is the suspension? Springs bent or cracked?
    Air bags leak?
    Shocks leak or weak and completely out of fluid?
    Rubber bushings on suspension cracked or missing?
    Cracks in the frame due to rust? Hows the rust on the frame???
    Start with First draining and analyzing every fluid and go from there...
    Do a COMPLETE and major maintenance...
    Do a dyno test on it??
    Front end king pins and bearings weak and lose?
    Steering components weak or lose?

Go thru all those and then we can start on the heating system inside the truck, go thru all the buttons and switches inside and that should keep you busy awhile.

PS dont forget the brakes, tires and seals all over the place....

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    truckthatpassesyouby and turboguy Thank this.
  4. georgeandson

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    To answer your question quickly:
    Your truck has exceeded its mechanical limits according to the engineers who built it.
    Which means it could and will need a complete over haul. Does that mean they are right? NO. It all depends on its history.

Its hard to say.

With all that bad news, here is some good news.

Your truck has no EGR.
    Your truck runs now and is reasonable to repair and turn into a great otr truck.
    Interior is all cleanable and replaceable for cheap.
    Paint is a one week job if you have a shop and do all the prep yourself and hire someone to shoot it with new signal stage paint. It will look like a new truck. Then paint the frame after you have it blasted of old rust.

You can make this into a great truck for a low cost and good news is you can get your money back from it when your done. hose trucks hold value.

Unlike My freightliner. I have dumped endless amounts of money to go over all the above listed items and it runs like new and handles like new...yet its still only worth so much cause its a columbia.

turboguy and pete1 Thank this.
  5. turboguy

May 16, 2015
    wow thanks George for all the info that was awesome
    I have never done a 5th wheel stretch so I'll leave that to a professional
    the rig needs new tires and brakes I haven't pulled a trailer with it yet so I dont know how her steering is
    unfortunately I dont have the paperwork on the inframe but she runs strong, the intercooler looks like the original
    she is rust free

the air bags leak over time, what is an acceptable leakage rate?

6. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    minimal, if htey are leaking id replace them

7. georgeandson

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    the bags them self should not leak at all. but if its a fitting then as long as your not out of air in 24 hours then your fine.
    thats the rule i use. if i hear it and can find it right away, i fix it right away. if i cant, i let it go for awhile till i lose all air in a night. then i get anoid and you will see a guy with a large tool box of tools on the ground and him in a mech jump suit climbing under, over and in the truck trying to find it and fix it lol that be ME.

8. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    I would need to know how long it has been sitting, or has it been in constant use, the absolute worst thing you can do to a truck is let it sit. If it sat 6 months or more I would say you will have seal issues, the more you work it the more it will tell you.

9. turboguy

May 16, 2015
    unfortunately the truck has been sitting for the past 6 months but has been fired up and driven periodically

10. turboguy

May 16, 2015
    how much would be looking at to replace the front end components?

how much for the steering components?

11. beemergary

beemergary Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2014
    I have an 84 359 with 950,000 mi. It was sitting in a barn for 12 yrs. Has only had bearings rolled in. Drives like a dream and will go 5-7 days without losing air. Everything works but I did replace a couple air bags and a spring hanger and pins.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.