1992 IH Axle ID

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by wisconsinjimmy, Sep 26, 2016.

1. wisconsinjimmy

wisconsinjimmy Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2016
    I just purchased this truck and I am going to replace all the axle seals or at the least try to but I have hit a snag I cannot find the numbers to tell me what type of axle I have, I do know they are Spicer ( Dana ) and that is all I know. I have scraped the housings as best as is possible wrote down a bunch of numbers and none cross to Spicer. The VIN number only says it is a Glider which came without the drive axles I am open to all suggestions also I can see where something was glued to the axle. Both axles had a metal tag on them and the number went nowhere, any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I bought a suspension snip for a project truck and ran into the same issue. The only tags I could find were installed on the carrier assembly and the were from a rebuilder. The numbers on the rebuilder tag didn't match any Rockwell axle numbers. I haven't called the rebuilder yet but I would think they could probably tell me based on their own part numbers. Another thing you could try is to simply pull 1 hub off and look for a number on the seal. Or pop out the seal and take it to the parts counter and have them ID it.

4. wisconsinjimmy

wisconsinjimmy Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Thanks for the reply NM but my son found the axle type Spicer N 400 we had a casting number but part of it was not real clear ?401c or 0 or 6 f102 and the correct number is 401CF102. My son in law has been a freightliner mech now for 25 years and he said it is a total crap shoot on the diff.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.