1999 Kenworth (CAT C12) High Pressure in Coolant Resevoir

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Airman89, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Airman89

Airman89 Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2015
    I purchased a 99 Kenworth T800 from an auction recently and the coolant was 6 gallons low. I filled it up and it has kept correct level since I drove it back to Ohio from Pennsylvania about 350 miles. There is no overheating or leaking. Sometimes there is white smoke coming from the stack but not always and there is a few drops of condensation on oil dipstick. I don't know where the 6 gallons of coolant had gone for the last owner but there is high pressure in the coolant resevoir. I let it sit overnight and cool down completely and when I opened the cap, coolant shot out under quite a bit of pressure. Also, pressure builds very fast within a few minutes of start-up. It acts like it is already hot within maybe 2-3 minutes of start-up. Any help or suggestions appreciated! Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldman49

Oldman49 Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Uhm,,,bad head gasket ..

4. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Pull a sample of the oil if you havent changed it yet and get a test done for coolant in oil, if you take off plug to add oil ck. for white oil on top, on top of dip/stick also?

5. Airman89

Jul 8, 2015
    Nope no white on dipstick just the oil plus a little bit a dark dark green slime up towards top of dipstick and a little condensation

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    One thing I just thought of. Does the truck have an air controlled water valve for the heater? Sometimes when those go bad they can pressure up the cooling system with your truck's air pressure. That could explain why the cooling system holds high pressure overnight and why it pressurizes so quickly after start up.

7. Airman89

Jul 8, 2015
    To be honest with you, I'm not sure. That would be great if that's all it is!! Where would that be located on a c12?

8. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I haven't looked under the hood of an 800 in a while but I would suggest finding your heater hoses and following them back to the cab. They are generally 5/8" or 3/4" hoses and probably pass into the cab on the passenger side firewall. It could be located there or inside the dash by the heater core. If you can't find the valve easily I would suggest calling your KW dealer with your VIN and find out where the water valve is located and if it is air or cable operated before spending too much time on it.

Airman89 Thanks this.
  9. Airman89

Jul 8, 2015
  10. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Those taps are shutoff valves and yes they can be shut off in the summer if needed. The valve I'm talking about should be located inline with those taps and is used to regulate how much coolant flows through the heater core and is controlled from inside the cab. If that valve happens to be controlled via an air signal it is possible that it could leak air from your reservoirs into your cooling system.

Airman89 Thanks this.
  11. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Yes may be another air valve on heater hiding under bunk of sleeper may also be powered by air just look for small air lines at both heater cores on rubber lines, the rad. cap should let off a over supply of air, so ck. rad cap spring to be sure its not rusted closed?

Airman89 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.