2000 ford f350 hot shot advice

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by peanut 21, Aug 21, 2016.

1. peanut 21

peanut 21 Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2013
    OK I'm going to look into getting them to stay safe with my egts

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IndianaF150

IndianaF150 Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2014
    6 years ago I had an F350, Wouldn't start below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. I googled f350 wont start below 50 degrees.

Got all sorts of forums telling me it's the glow plug relay.

Went to Chief Auto and bought one. Put it in. Still wouldn't start below 50 degrees.

Took it to a ford dealer, $2,500 later they said they replaced the glow plug relay and the batteries, starter and cables.

Still wouldn't start below 50 degrees. I sold it on craigs list, specifying that I would only sell it to a mechanic. 4 hrs later a mechanic calls me and says buys and rebuilds the 7.3 motors and he comes up and spends 20 minutes trying to start it.

Then he says, wait a minute .... he turns the key and it makes the usual click noise after 1 second. He then smiles and says I know the problem. He then buys it.

3 hrs later he calls me and tells me why it didn't start.....

The starter solenoid and the glow plug relay look identical and are often mixed up by parts stores and even dealers. The only way to tell the difference .....

Turn the key, if you hear the click within a second or two, that means they sold you a starter solenoid instead of the glow plug relay. A glow plug relay makes the click noise after 9 or 10 seconds.

The glow plug relay has a chip in it that lets it deliver electricity to the glow plugs for 9 or 10 seconds to warm the glow plugs allowing them to be hot enough to ignite the diesel fuel.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    1951 ford and AModelCat Thank this.
  4. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    I would stay away from hauling cars, too much weight. I had 576,000 miles on my original engine hauling light. I replaced the long block I now have 667,000 miles on the truck. I just assume from the picture at the beginning of the thread you are thinking about doing cars. Long term with that F350 light weight freight is going to give you a better ROI. You will always be competing against the trucks that can carry twice as many cars as you can. If you want to do cars, Big Truck, Big Trailer IMHO

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.