2000 Kenworth T2000 Detroit Diesel - No Start

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Airman89, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Airman89

Airman89 Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2015
    just purchased a 2000 KW T2000 with a 12.7 Detroit 60 series and got it home to let it sit in my driveway. Got it home and the next day wouldn't fire. Now a week later I'm still troubleshooting it.

When I purchased it he said there was a code for idle and coolant.

When I disconnect coolant sensor, SES goes away and fuel gauge starts working. When coolant sensor plugged in fuel gauge stays on "E" and SES is illuminated.

I'm getting fuel from the pump. I would guess around 10 psi while cranking.

I replaced crank sensor.

I topped off coolant.

I cleaned air filter.

Batteries got low so everytime I try to start now is by jumping with my car, so voltage should be no issue. (12v)

Any help greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Can not exactly say in a T2000 but in general a 60 has to have ECM power and ground from the battery. Have seen some KW's ecm power off a big circuit breaker but don't know if that is factory.
    All or at least many electronic trucks have a low voltage disconnect. Even if the engine is spinning over well it can cut off power needed for the engine to run. Happens at 10.2V ? and does not care what your gauge reads. Some times a snort of ether, just enough to get it to fire, will get it running because when you let off the key the voltage goes up and engine keeps running. Leave the air filter in and go light. It takes a while to go through the CAC and get back to the engine. Don't load it up! Works better with cables hooked up starter some times.
    TRS and SRS sensors can keep it from starting, others shut it down after a short run period.
    Search block top right. If you do not find what you want ask it different ways such as. 2000 KW T2000 Detroit 12.7 won't start. Detroit 12.7 won't start. Detroit 60 series won't start. Detroit 14L won't start, their cousins.
    12.7 cranks no start. etc. Good luck

Airman89 Thanks this.
  4. Airman89

Jul 8, 2015
    Thank you for the detailed reply! I've got it figured out. For future google searches, if this mysterious no start happens to you on a Detroit 60 series, check ecm wires and fuse inside battery compartment! It turned out to be a loose connection for me.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I really meant the search on this sight but OK glad you got it going. Got over the DT's yet? That,s a 466 doing a man's job for those that are not with us from previous posts.

Airman89 Thanks this.
  6. Airman89

Jul 8, 2015
    I have another question about the SES light. When I touch the accelerator even slightly, the SES light goes away. If I turn the engine fan on manual, it also goes away. The guy told me there was an idle code throwing the SES light.

Could the SES light be caused by the throttle position sensor?

7. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5
    Yes bad throttle pedal sensor will put the light on. The voltage goes out of spec.

Airman89 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.