2001 FLD 120 clutch question!!

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Adamjorgy, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Adamjorgy

Adamjorgy Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2015
    My 2001 Freightliner has a meritor tranny in it and when ever I go to let the clutch out he just jerks and takes off.. It's like its impossible to let the clutch out slowly and gradually take off once the clutch gets to a certain point its just goes.. I took it to a shop ( i don't know if it was the best choice in shops) but anyways they adjusted my clutch and swapped out the clutch brake and there's still no change but he said my clutch still looked alright.. Does anyone have anything or seen this before ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I thank that is an indication that your clutch disc or pads maybe worn down to the rivets or it has been extremely hot causing hot spots. The clutch brake has nothing to do with this. If you stand on it with a load and feel it shudder the end is near. It is possible to drive a hot spot clutch that grabs for a long time if it is not slipping. Just my opinion and experience. It may help if when you feel it start to pull to slightly depress the the clutch and then continue slow release.

4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Look at your linkage,see if it's moving smoothly. If your is like mine,the rod from firewall has a hiem joint on one end,the other has a bushing. When that bushing wears out,it will cause it to grab.

5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Check engine mount bushings and bolts also.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Probably a silly question but is there an oil leak into the bell housing area? Small amounts of oil on a friction surface can sometimes cause a grabbing effect (same as when you get a leaking wheel seal that contaminates the linings can sometimes cause the brake to grab). Even excessive grease from the throw out bearing and cross shafts can cause contamination. Another thing I have personally seen was a clutch that was so cooked that it caused the friction discs to warp. That caused the clutch to drag, but not enough to prevent the clutch brake from stopping it when the pedal was pushed hard to the floor.

7. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    check to make sure you're cross shaft is moving freely if they get stuck over time this is what they usually will do thats the only thing i can think of

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.