2001 Volvo erratic speed

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by SebN0414, Aug 24, 2016.

1. SebN0414

SebN0414 Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2016
    I have a 20001 Volvo D12C 465/ 10 speed eaton autoshift. While driving down the road ill have the speedometer start jumping up and down and the engine starts to cut in & out intermittently every few seconds while giving it gas, if i let it idle down the road nothing happens. Had codes for Accelerator Pedal Position % and speed sensor on the transmission. I replaced the accelerator pedal and the 2 speed sensors on the transmission. The truck was fine for a few weeks, no codes or any issues. Then all those symptoms came back, but no codes were showing up. Found out i didn't have the correct EECU on the engine. I got the proper EECU and got it programmed for my truck at a VOLVO dealer. Picked the truck up from the dealer and everything was working great. I drove the truck about 350KM and the truck started acting up again. The truck started showing me codes and a "Check Cab Controller at next stop" Message.
    The Codes:
    Cab Controller
    SAE J1708 DATA LINK
    MID 144
    SID 250
    FMI 5

Cab Controller
    Road Speed
    Electrical Fault
    MID 144
    PID 084
    FMI 5

Engine

Road Speed
    Unknown Fault
    MID 128
    PID 084
    FMI 11

Engine
    Road Speed
    Communication Error
    MID 128
    PID 084
    FMI 9

I ended up changing the Cab Controller(VECU) thinking it was over heating and shorting out, because everytime i would let the truck sit for more than 8 hours it would be fine for about 20min of driving till everything came back. If anyone has any idea what this could be i would greatly appreciate any input.
    Thanks

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Reason for edit: errors
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    That sounds like something above my pay grade however I did fix a speedometer once the had been everywhere and had everything changed. I found when I put a screwdriver in the sensor hole I could turn the pick up wheel in the transmission. The yoke had very little play but dropped driveshaft and tightened yoke. Could not turn wheel, reassembled, problem solved. Good Luck and let us know what cures it.

4. SebN0414

SebN0414 Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2016
    Would what you said give off open circuit codes? Planning on pulling the doghouse tomorrow and start searching through the cables. Maybe I'll check that wheel inside the transmission before I do anything big.

5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I don't that so. That's why I said it is above my pay grade. Would suspect a wiring harness problem or something similar. What I mentioned is simple, stupid, and easy to check. It is interesting how a problem in one system can throw codes in systems that seems totally unrelated. It has two sensors, 1 for the speedo and one for the ECM? So why would both be messing up if it is the harness? Common ground?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.