2001 Volvo VN660 Road Speed problem

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by SebN0414, Aug 30, 2016.

1. SebN0414

SebN0414 Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2016
    I have a 20001 Volvo D12C 465/ 10 speed eaton autoshift. While driving down the road ill have the speedometer start jumping up and down and the engine starts to cut in & out intermittently every few seconds while giving it gas, if i let it idle down the road nothing happens. Also the cruise control stops working and the transmission has preoblems shifting gears up, gearing down its fine. Had codes for Accelerator Pedal Position % and speed sensor on the transmission. I replaced the accelerator pedal and the speed sensor on the transmission. The truck was fine for a few weeks, no codes or any issues. Then all those symptoms came back, but no codes were showing up. Found out i didn't have the correct EECU on the engine. I got the proper EECU and got it programmed for my truck at a VOLVO dealer. Picked the truck up from the dealer and everything was working great. I drove the truck about 350KM and the truck started acting up again. The truck started showing me codes and a "Check Cab Controller at next stop" Message.
    The Codes:
    Cab Controller
    SAE J1708 DATA LINK
    MID 144
    SID 250
    FMI 5

Cab Controller
    Road Speed
    Electrical Fault
    MID 144
    PID 084
    FMI 5

Engine
    Road Speed
    Unknown Fault
    MID 128
    PID 084
    FMI 11

Engine
    Road Speed
    Communication Error
    MID 128
    PID 084
    FMI 9

I ended up changing the Cab Controller(VECU) thinking it was over heating and shorting out, because every time i would let the truck sit for more than 8 hours it would be fine for about 20min of driving till everything came back.
    Over a year ago, M&K Vovlo/Mack in Kalamazoo,Mi replaced the EECU and the engine harness, because the oil pressure sensor sent oil through the electrical lines and fried my original EECU. They ended up putting in a used/working but not responsive EECU onto my truck. Now this issue came up and i took it to my local Volvo dealer to get it checked. Plugging into the diagnostic port on the truck it was not allowing them to access the truck at all. So i took the truck back to my shop, pulled the EECU off the engine and tried comparing part numbers to the 5 i was given by the dealer, ended up it was for a d12B with a standard transmission. I tracked down one of the new super seeded part numbers for the EECU and had them program it. Once programmed the truck was running like a new truck, until a little driving the truck started acting up and i had the "Check Cab Controller at next stop" and the codes above came on as active. Usually with an active short somewhere i shows a value of how many times the codes is shorting in and out. But these codes just say active with no actual value.

As of right now; I pulled the doghouse off, dropped the drive shaft, check all my connections on the main transmission harness, pulled the harness off the transmission that has all the power and data link lines, removed the cover on the engine harness housing where the data link lines run too. Now I am starting to remove all the electrical tape, plastic protectors on all the cables and hopefully ill find a break in the lines somewhere*(found rubbed through lines, replaced the broken lines) I also ordered the Main transmission harness and will have tomorrow morning(replaced) I've replace the both cables that go from the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) to the cab controller. I've also replaced a bunch of ground cables and other broken power lines(none have anything to do with the issues). New ground cables for the engine, alternator and starter. After doing all this i started the truck and all the symptoms are still there. The code "SAE J1708 DATA LINK" was the only code that disappeared everything else was still there. I put the truck back into the shop and messed around with some more cables. Now my speedometer shows no speed, and the truck is not cutting in and out. All the codes are still there and the transmission does not want to shift, and cruise does not work.

If someone had the time to read this, PLEASE HELP!
    Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    did you try to replace the speed sensors on transmission

4. rexmanno

rexmanno Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2013
    I don't know if this would help you or be part of the problems you are having:
    I used to own a 2000 Volvo 660 with a 10 speed Eaton autoshift with a Detroit Diesel engine.
    I had a lot of the same issues with mine, spent over $ 6000.00 to try to figure out all the problems, after 7 different Volvo dealerships in both the U.S and Canada trying to fix my problems, after telling me it was in my computer, it is in my wiring cables, it was my X Y shifter and a whole lot of other parts, All the parts they replaced I asked them to show me what was wrong, the parts that they could not show what was wrong I had them put the old one's back on.
    The last time I was at a Volvo dealer was in Indianapolis, In, they could not find anything wrong, they checked all my fault codes, zeroed out all my codes, truck worked like normal.
    I knew that would only last a very short time before it would start all over again.
    I then asked the technician how much that little module that sits on top of the transmission computer would cost?
    He told me around $ 147.00, I told him to replace it since the outer housing is all rusted out, he installed a new one and I drove the truck for over 1.5 years after that and never had any more problems with that truck or transmission.
    There is a ground there that was gone, it worked sometimes, most of the times she would stop or lock up in gear or would not shift gear I used to go under the cab and lay down on top of the transmission and check all my connections, check the speed sensors, some times I used to lay my arm on top of that module while being under there, that would be enough sometimes to get my ground back, get out from under there get in the driver seat, start the truck up and drive away not knowing what I had done.
    Mind you, just because this happened to me don't make it the same for you, I'm just saying, it could be easy be part of yours too.
    After he replaced that module the truck felt like a new truck, it had never shifted so smooth before, I purchased the truck with 235000 miles on it,I sold her with 3.3 million miles, she was good for a few years, but with all the salt and calcium that is sprayed on to the roads, it's no wonder there is so many problems with today's trucks, they rust away and we complain about what kind of crap they are, makes you wonder???

SebN0414 Thanks this.
  5. Silvertop1877

Silvertop1877 Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Hello Sir My name is Rodney I'm having the same problem with shifting Could you tell me the name of the Black Box on top of the Trainsmission and Were is the Ground wire located

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.