2002 and older VNL questions

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by kogaFX, Jun 29, 2015.

1. allan5oh

allan5oh Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    They're not light trucks that's for sure. Iron cabs is what does it, like the western stars. I lost almost 2500 lbs going to a T800.

As far as the electrical there's about 4 problem areas:

1) Changing the starter. I know on the Volvo engine it is a real pain. I don't imagine the Detroit would be any better. Make sure to buy the 39mt gear reduction starter as it's much lighter than the 42mt monster.

2) Starter circuit. There's a relay on the firewall that likes to go. I completely rewired my starting circuit.

3) Battery area. It is exposed, maybe volvos came with a cover from the factory? Driving in snow covers the batteries in snow. ECM wiring running off the batteries is prone to being unreliable.

4) Dash gauge cluster. This is a #####. Gauges stop working, dash lights go on/off, warning lights come on randomly. Inside the gauge cluster there's about 5 20 pin hookups. All of them will have cold solder joints. I spent a full day pulling the thing apart and resoldering about 100 joints. It's a real PITA, but once it's fixed its FIXED.

I eventually sold that truck to my dad as a parts truck. I bought a detroit powered 2002 t800. Keep in mind the engine is heavier than the volvo engine by about 500 lbs. The truck weighs just a hair over 20k with headache rack, full chains, two toolboxes full of junk, full of fuel ready to go. My old volvo was around 22,100 in comparison WITHOUT the toolboxes full of junk.

mp4694330 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mp4694330

mp4694330 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Chicagoland
    I own mine from 700 000, now 1 063 000. Been a great truck.
    Winter time abs light go on rough road or hard breaking, but goes away after restarting truck.
    Have typical issues of older truck.Leaking air lines and connectors, replaced turbo, alternator, radiator, clutch etc...I would say nothing unusual at that age. D12 feels less powerful than Cummins motors I drove but gets the job done.
    Fuel mileage, calculated tank to tank, not from ECM, 7.01 mpg last 18 months.Usually 59 to 62 mph. I idle whenever need to feel comfortable, no APU.
    Pulling dry van, no skirts, 95 percent Midwest and Southeast.
    Weight vary greatly, all broker, loadboards freight.
    Paid 17 000$ in September 2011 for it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  4. Dazed&Confused

Dazed&Confused Bobtail Member

Nov 1, 2014
    mp4694330 Thanks this.
  5. Vaso.L

Vaso.L Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2014
    South Holland,IL
    i have 99 610 with a detroit 12.7
    i just had an electrical issue where after it rained truck wouldnt wanna start until like 25th attempt,mechanic said bad starter,after that new starter i lost all the electrical power,everything stopped working,one shop couldnt find a problem,came back to the guy that did starter and he found a bad starter wire that solved a problem.
    Instrument cluster i had to rebuild completely and it cost me 1500$ without air gaugaes that i swapped from a 2003(they dont fit perfect but do the job)
    ac is a huge pain,all the tubing needs to be resealed because its leaking air everywhere
    Geting 7.5mpg full to full with a 32k conestoga load

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.