2004 Freightliner Columbia mid-roof w/sleeper, huge A/C problems

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Larry H, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Larry H

Larry H Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Hello all,

I am an instructor at a truck driving school which employs a know-nothing hack for a "mechanic" and we need as much outside help as we can get with an air conditioning problem. As stated in the title, it's an '04 Columbia with a sleeper.

Let me start with a run-down of parts the hack has thrown at it to absolutely no avail:
    -- New compressor
    -- New liquid line
    -- New receiver/drier
    -- New blower motor
    I'm not certain any of these except the blower motor were actually necessary. For my own part, I've checked as many fuses and relays as I can get at, and wiggled/checked any relevant wires and harnesses, and have been unable to definitively diagnose anything electrical through these efforts.

Here's the current behavior and symptoms. You can turn the system on, and for perhaps 15-20 seconds, modestly cool air will actually come blowing out of the vents. Kiss that goodbye after those 20 seconds, though -- the airflow doesn't slowly warm up a little bit like you would expect of a working system, it instead goes VERY quickly and abruptly warm. Leaving it to its own devices for 15 minutes makes no difference in system behavior -- short periods of cool air followed by a quick turn to 3-5 minutes of warm air and no action at the compressor.

We need all the help we can get before this hack throws another $1000 worth of irrelevant parts at it. Does this sound like a huge freon leak the mechanic has been too dumb to find? I've gotten a suggestion of the evaporator temperature sensor? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    Is the A/C compressor clutch kicking on and off? If not is it getting power to the plug? Do you have manifold gauges to check high and low side pressures while running?

4. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Run a jumper wire from the positive post of the battery directly to the terminal on the front of the a/c compressor , this is the electrical clutch that activates the compressor.

If the compressor comes and runs uninterrupted feel the air coming out of the vents.

If you are feeling heat coming out of the vents the heater door is stuck shut and is allowing heat instead of cool air to enter the system.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.