2006 Cummins isx check engine on acceleration

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Walleye05, May 29, 2015.

1. Walleye05

Walleye05 Light Load Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Hello I have 2007 Pete 387 with isx15 450hp, lately since it started to get warm outside, it randomly threw check light on acceleration usually over 1400 run and it started only doing that on Hill with full weight. It would go away in a couple seconds usually when I let off and back on quick it will go away. But now it will come on when I'm empty. Today was 85 and humid. I did a experiment, when I hit the gas at 60ish, it will build up boost to 30 and then drop to 27-28 psi that's when the light comes on. Pyro doesn't go above 750 degrees when I'm on the pedal hard. I can't get a code out of that light.. My Pete is equipped with diagnostic switch. But that doesn't show anything but a steady light when key is on and engine is off.

Bad actuator? I do have a cracked pipe at the 5 inch end of the 4 inch to 5 inch elbow below the turbo. Trying to find a new elbow. Could that cause this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosemanusa

Moosemanusa Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Need to get Insite plugged in to show the inactive code..

Could be the TPS setup on the accelerator pedal, only say that because the same happened to me recently..

4. Walleye05

Sep 5, 2012
    Did your accelerator pedal have a deadzone? Cause mine does have that it's like the 0% position has been moved to the 20% position.

5. Moosemanusa

Jun 3, 2015
    I would just see the CEL when accerlating (the strange part was it appeared to happen when i was going up a grade or controlling down a grade).

as for the deadzone, hard to say, this was on a bus (same setup as you however), we sometimes treat the pedals as stop/go!

Insite will show the inactive code (the CEL only comes on when its active)..

Now I'm only saying this as I'm assuming you have a williams type pedal.. can you check that?

Then check the cabling to the pedal with the little slider on the back.

G

6. Walleye05

Sep 5, 2012
    How do I tell if I have Williams type pedal? I have Insite on the way, ordered it Sunday. So next weekend I'll be able to find out what the inactive code is. It hasn't come on very much today as its cooler outside.

7. Moosemanusa

Jun 3, 2015
    The Pedal will have the Williams logo and wording in the middle.

You have the J1708 box as well correct ? (The cummins version is Inline 6) but there are others (NexIQ - Many Asian copies on Ebay)

Now I've read online (and this is for other engine applications like RV's etc with the same setup) that if you turn the ignition on and pump the accelerator 5 times it will flash the inactive codes..

I havent tested this, i can do tomorrow with our unit and see it does anything as I know there's inactive codes..

8. Moosemanusa

Jun 3, 2015
    Also just double check the battery terminals also.. usually that logs a hard code (again seen this but would have to shut down, disconnect batts, reconnect and start to remove the CEL)..

If the ECM's see variable voltage (bad connections etc) they will also do the same.

I have Insite and Inline but I left them in Dallas with a bus, I'm based in Las Vegas and going to get said bus soon..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.