2008 cat w/ low boost

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by dustinbrock, May 8, 2015.

1. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    been chasing this for a bit now. I have a 2008 pete 389 with a c15 sdp acert engine, has a delete and should be putting 600 to the ground. problem is its boosting 35 to 40 lbs.

pressure leak tested and all is well, did a complete engine rebuild with new head. only replaced the high pressure turbo because pete said the low pressure one was fine.

where could my pressure be going? I don't think peterbilt could properly diagnose a failed ball bearing turbo to save their lived (neither can i) so for all I know maybe they were wrong about the one being good.

a mechanic said to pinch off wastegate line. I pinched it right closed with no change at all, put back to normal.

thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RSQ20

RSQ20 Medium Load Member

Where are you tapped in to read the boost??

Turbo outflow, intercooler (in/out) or intake manifold??

... Philip

4. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    wherever the factory guage is reading from. I've found multiple bad boost leaks and fixed them, then a engine code popped up for the iva oil pressure solenoid which turned out to be a broken wire. now no engine code again and still just 40 lbs of boost.

5. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Does that model have a turbo with a waste gate? Betting it does. My 05 C13 has the waste gate. Won't build over 31.5 lbs of boost.

6. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    it does have a turbo with a wastegate. it's the dual turbo acert engine. I should be building 50lbs easy, maybe more with the tune I've got.

7. RustyBolt

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Your "tune" will in no way change the waste gate setting. It's set from the factory. I guess one could adjust it manually by turning the nut on the threaded rod coming from the actuator. Not sure though. Don't think I would mess with it. Bump it up too much and blow the turbo or blow the head off the engine. LOL

8. RustyBolt

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    That it to say ... It is set mechanically. Not by the ECM

9. bgxpress2006

bgxpress2006 Light Load Member

May 25, 2013
    Montreal, Quebec
    Bumping this thread up.... i have an 07 mxs with a tune, normally boost in 60lbs range but now only boosting at 30-35lbs range, thought it was air to air, pressure tested it and its perfect, as it should be its new from November, pressure tested in reverse from air to air back to turbos blocking off air breathers and found a leak at top turbo exit at flange, clamp was wore so put a new one on and everything looked good, left shop and nothing changed stil low boost... just before getting home it felt like problem went away, im starting to think this is a wastegate problem.... anybody have any thoughts

10. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    If it's a wastegate issue then pinching the wastegate line should produce more boost. If you've got low boost then you either have a air leak, weak turbo or fuel issue.

My issue from this tread was a fuel issue. My fuel pump was actually weak. It would test fine at idle but under load it would die.

bgxpress2006 Thanks this.
  11. John3009

John3009 Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2016
    @dustinbrock I have the exact same setup as you. 2008 389 with c15 cat that's been deleted and recently been rebuilt. I'm only getting about 38 pounds of boost every now and then it bumps 40. What kind of pressure are you getting now and how did you fix it? Thanks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.