2009 Volvo ISX saying engine Fault

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by andyram78, Sep 13, 2013.

1. andyram78

andyram78 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2013
    I just got a call from my driver that the truck is losing power and saying "Engine Fault" on the screen. It isn't throwing any code number just saying that. Has anyone experienced this before? He claims the truck will lose power and then gain it back then lose it again then gain it back. it is going back and forth and I am wondering what you guys may think of it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pilgrim007

Pilgrim007 Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2013
    1. Get him to pull over and disconnect the battery for about 10 mins, when he reconnects it it should reset the ECM.

2. Fuel filter needs changing also check air filter.

3. Fuel pump isn't keeping pressure. Does the fuel pump whine?

4. Driver Error, he forgot to fill up and is dragging the guts and slug from the bottom of the tank....

4. andyram78

andyram78 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Pilgrim he tried battery and still comes back, he changed filters this morning and he filled when he left and just refilled still a problem. Also he said truck is idling at 1100 rpm instead of around 600rpm

5. Pilgrim007

Sep 9, 2013
    If the fuel filter is OK? Then the ECM is probably providing wrong info. But disconnecting the battery for a while should reset it for a short time before showing the fault again.

Just a quick thought, is he climbing or on the flat? Is the truck loaded? If yes can he drop the trailer and see if it does the same? If it doesn't it could possibly a turbo problem.

Will keep search my memory banks.... fingers crossed.

6. andyram78

andyram78 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2013
    he is fully loaded and it started when he was on flat land. Truck is using up a lot of fuel also. He put new filters just to be on safe side.

7. Pilgrim007

Sep 9, 2013
    If its not the turbo or ECM and the fuel and air are OK? I'm sorry I'm at a brick wall.

Please let me know what the problem is.

Thanks hope its resolved soon.

Edit;-
    After thoughts?

Did the Air and fuel filter get replaced prior to the problems starting?

If so has the fuel filter been put on backwards? and is the air filter the correct one and in correctly?

You said its binge drinking fuel, but are the engine revs increasing with fuel usage?

If the engine revs are not increasing, check the fuel lines are tight especially around the fuel filter. And although diesels produce high pressure they can still suck in air. If that is happening the ECM could be trying to compensate for the incorrect mixture. Which would cause the engine to loose power and die.

Lastly is his exhaust showing shades of White? If so he's got water in the fuel either from condensation or contamination..

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  8. andyram78

andyram78 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Air was replaced about 10k miles ago and fuel filter didn't get replaced till after the problems started. These are the codes that finally popped up and the truck wont move anymore

MID 128 SID 380 FMI 11
    MID 128 PID 131 FMI 4
    MID 128 SID 384 FMI 0
    MID 128 PID 131 FMI 0
    MID 128 PID 111 FMI 1
    MID 128 PID 131 FMI 2

9. kwcam

kwcam Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2012
    at the shop
    If it's idling at 1100 rpm sounds like it's trying to regen. sorry those codes are iso generic and take a bit more work to find in cummins faults.

10. Pilgrim007

Sep 9, 2013
  11. hammer360

hammer360 Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Olympia, Wa
    Mine did the same thing, it was the exhaust gas pressure sensor.. Or it sounds like it needs to regen.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.