2011 MaxxForce injector harness connections oil soaked...

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by John Gould, Feb 9, 2016.

1. John Gould

John Gould Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2016
    Hi all,

Just joined the site and I need a tad bit of help. Is it a regular deal that the MaxxForce 9 & 10 valve cover gasket/harness that connects to each injector be full of oil or flooded? Last one I did which was last week had them all soaked with oil inside each connector, found a bad wire on harness & bad injector, fixed both and that truck runs like a champ again. One I am working on now has an intermittent misfire showing after the regen it just had on #6 injector. The connection to # 6 injector connection is also oil soaked inside and I am wondering and thinking that this issue I have is directly related to the oil in the connections!!!

Thoughts????

Thanks for any help.

John

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    How long have you had this truck?

4. John Gould

Feb 9, 2016
    Its a 2011 with 108444 miles. I repair the trucks for the company I work for and and I got out of heavy truck 20+ years ago, but am right back in the mix of them once again. Vehicle needed a forced regen and got that done. While performing the regen, the #6 inj. was throwing a code. I don't have access to pinbox or breakout harness's so a multimeter and a boss I have is the way we have to roll for now. Runs great sometimes, then sometimes not, kind of like flipping a switch and dropping a cyl. and then it comes back on later on... Learning that the harness's have issue's as well as the ipr's . Neat engines, just need to learn the quirks of them for future. Thanks for the reply.

John

5. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Oil getting into the harnesses has been a problem for the ISX also, and I think the new Detroits. So you probably have found the issue.

6. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    Cat had the issue as well in 2006

7. John Gould

Feb 9, 2016
    Thanks guys, my boss will want to pin check anyway but I am willing to bet $5. it's the oil soaked harness's.

John

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Oil will not cause issues. Many engines with exposed injector electrical connectors are absolutely flooded with oil during operation and run just fine. It is normal to see oil inside those connectors. 2010 MF DT 9 and 10 injectors short out prematurely in my opinion. This will typically happen once warm. If you are getting shorted codes for an injector I recommend to replace all 6 and be done with it.

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.