2012 Cascadia with 280K Multiple fault codes Please Advise

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by 1fixitman, Aug 27, 2016.

1. 1fixitman

1fixitman Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Truck has been at Freightliner since Thursday. They called this morning and said they have to replace the DEF pump and DEF pressure regulator. I am real curious about this now because I know the truck has been using DEF. I will not get truck back until next week. Monday is a holiday so maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. It is all covered under warranty. My cruise control powered up before I took it in but I could not set it. I hope by them clearing the codes that it will set when it is all done. Time will tell.
    D Rock

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 1fixitman

Aug 16, 2016
    I want to add this to my thread since we are talking about the DEF system and codes related to it. Here are two part numbers and a diagram I got from someone on another thread that I thanked. I put the cost of the parts for my area in Chesapeake, VA.
    I do not have the part number for the air screen for incoming air to the DEF pump. I think it is part number 90 in the picture
    DDE A0001420289 is the def filter Part 20
    DDEA0001400694 is the DEF incoming filter screen part 80
    Def filter is 38.98$
    Def incoming filter screen is 6.62$ in Chesapeake, VA at Freightliner. Def filter from fleet supply store is 27$ but have to wait 2 weeks for delivery. I need to start a freightliner parts thread. Thank you sir.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  4. 1fixitman

Aug 16, 2016
    I get my truck back thursday morning. I know they replaced the DEF pump and pressure regulator. They also performed a forced Regeneration. All under warranty. I hope the cruise works now. If not I will start a new thread for that.

RStewart Thanks this.
  5. 1fixitman

Aug 16, 2016
    I went to pick up my truck from freightliner dealer Thursday morning, 9-8-16. They replaced DEF pump new, Pump air pressure regulator new that reduces truck pressure from over 100-130 down to 80 psi and new dosing valve unit. They said they did a forced regen. Truck still had 3 active fault codes I brought it in there with and yellow blinking light above DEF level indicator (which means Regulatory Fault Ignored by the driver for a long time)
    I went right back in and ripped into the service manager's a55. A tech performed another forced regen and cleared all codes and the regulatory fault ignored light. I have driven the truck 900 miles since then on Thursday and Friday. I filled up on Thursday evening on fuel and DEF. I drove 648 miles. I refilled fuel(98 gallons) and DEF( 5.5 Gallons) at the end of the 648 mile trip. I am getting about 6.5 MPG on fuel and 117.8 MPG on DEF. Leg miles for trip are 131 miles at 76K pounds gross. 200 miles with empty new 53 foot van. 217 miles at 55k pounds gross. Hwy 58 at 60MPH for 160 miles total and I-95 fairly flat between Emporia, VA at exit 11 down to Timmonsville, SC exit 153 averaging 65MPH
    It seem like it is using a lot of DEF and much lower MPG for fuel. It is my first nice truck but also my first truck with EGR and After treatment system. Please Advise.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  6. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    I would say the fuel mpg is low. I don't get that low unless I'm heavy & running fast. If I stay around 65 mph my mpg never gets that low.

1fixitman Thanks this.
  7. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    DEF usage is directly proportional to fuel usage. So the Def part is probably working right.
    I know whenever it is really windy out my mpg drops and my def usage goes up. Worst day ever was 2.7 mpg and used 53 litres (14 gals) def over 250 miles in 70 mph winds.

1fixitman Thanks this.
  8. 1fixitman

Aug 16, 2016
    Right at 1100 miles or so I got 3 codes again.
    EEC 061 SPN 004364
    NOX CONV EFF 01

EEC 061 SPN 004364
    NOX CONV EFF 18

EEC 061 SPN003364
    DEF QUALITY 02

I have driven about 700 Miles since these came in. The DEF QUALITY code is no longer active. Only the NOX CONV EFF codes are still active. The small yellow blinking light above the DEF level indicator only blinked for about 300 miles. I think the light means "Regulatory fault Ignored" Any thoughts??????? Remember still under warranty but every day I don't work I lose 300-500$/day.

9. Jarrods

Jarrods Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Both NOX codes are almost identical in troubleshooting. Checking the DEF for contamination, urea percentage. Checking the DEF metering unit for proper operation (which I believe they did last time correct?) Checking the NOX sensors, then checking the SCR temperature sensors.

If all of this checks out it means the SCR has failed and you'll need a new one box.

Do you do alot of idling? Warranty won't pay if your above 20% idle time and lower then 40% load. (Would need to verify these numbers, I'm going off memory)

1fixitman Thanks this.
  10. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Copy from another forum, if all else checks out it is your SCR.

Above statements are correct, just went through this exact problem at my shop. spent several days testing, cleaning doc and filters and sensors, ect. Ended with replacing the scr, doc unit at cost of $6200. Problem fixed. Main point that finally stood out was upon start of regen, nox coversion and ppm read out would read normal for 10-15 minutes into regen and scr temp up to 7-800 degrees. At this point on, nox conversion declined as temps rose to normal regen levels. All nox sensor reading will be good during non dosing regen test, dosing will be fine and everything else normal. This was only way we were able to finally call scr the problem

1fixitman Thanks this.
  11. PChase

PChase Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Show Me State
    A 2012 with less than 300K

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.