2012 KW T700 trans problem

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Hick, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    2012 KW T700, Paccard MX, Eaton 10 speed auto...

Does anyone know what it means when the dash display switches between an 'F' and what gear you're in?

The service light on the trans came on a while back and then went off. I drove it a ways and then it stuck in 5th gear and wouldn't shift. The service light was on and the dash switched between showing the current gear and the 'F'. Turning the key off and on gave me the error code 64.

It got towed to a dealer where they replaced the electronic shift module. After that, all was well until today when the service light came on and the 'F' showed up on the dash again.

I tried to get the error code but when I flipped the key, both the light and the F went away and no code was given.

Anyone know what might be the problem? I just have a feeling it's going to lay down again...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    F indicates that there is a fault code on the tranny. Too much electronics built into those tranny. It will always lay down over and over until the whole trucking industry realizes what they ran into. Auto trannys have so many good benefits out of it but the biggest con is the cost of maintenance and repairs to the tranny.

4. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    That's what I thought the F meant, but I can't get the code to come up. It says no faults. I didn't clear it by flipping the switch 6 times or whatever, it cleared itself.

I agree with the auto trans being a problem. I just do not like them. There are too many situations where I've really wished it was a stick.

But thanks. Guess without the error code I'm kind of at a loss.

5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Has the speedo hand been moving around on the gauge while the truck is moving at speed, the speed sensor is bad if any movement has been noticed?

6. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    No, the odometer hand has been ok, not bouncing around or jerking or anything.

Seems like the service light comes on around 5th gear. I just drove a couple hundred miles and it is still behaving now. I guess I'll have to wait and try to get the error code.

7. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    When you stop for a break drain out air tanks and look for any water in them if air dryer is letting water get into air tanks, water in shifter valve on top of trans. will slow down low to hi. shift

8. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    OK I'll empty them often and see if it helps.

Thanks.

9. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    yup and power steering was going to ruin trucking to

10. Thed302

Thed302 Light Load Member

Oct 30, 2014
    USA
    Just for future reference: Paccar's do not get their speed signal from the tranny output yoke, they get it from the ABS system.

Take this truck to a dealer and have the stored codes looked at, you might be able to warranty it.

11. JRBES

JRBES Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2015
    F with code 64 replace you ECA. Very easy to change.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.