2013 Frightliner TV antenna

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by CharlesS, Nov 18, 2016.

1. CharlesS

CharlesS Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    I have a 13 Frightliner with the pre installed coax in the passenger side cabinet. Also have the duel monuts on the outside of the truck for cb antennas with none installed. Does the TV coax go to those antennas or somewhere else? I plugged a new tv into no reception, didn't find any channels, same result with one of those flat mount antennas as well. Could be a bad reception area but just curious about the coax

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Deputy Chief

Deputy Chief Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Philadelphia,Pa.
    Charles, I believe the passenger side cb antenna, is for the tv set.

4. CharlesS

Aug 9, 2013
    Ok so I can just buy a cb antenna for that, any particular model or make?

5. Deputy Chief

Nov 7, 2010
    Philadelphia,Pa.
    Anyone should work. As long as your around city limits, you should pick up a few channels. Some days you'll find you get more then others. You will have to do an auto program every time, you stop in a different town.

6. CharlesS

Aug 9, 2013
    I have one of those flat antennas hooked up now, get a pretty good amount of channels but gets interference from passing trucks. Would probably work better if I could set it up on the outside of the truck but haven't figured our a way to do it yet.

7. Deputy Chief

Nov 7, 2010
    Philadelphia,Pa.
    I took a painters pole, I bought from home depot. I mounted the antenna to that, and then I bought a TV antenna mounting kit. You mount the painters pole to the hand rail on the back of your cab. Make sure you leave enough cable so you can extend the painters up, so that the antenna reaches above your trailer (14FT) you'll be above most interference from other trucks driving buy. If you leave the painters pole just loose enough, you will be able to turn it and tune it to pick up channels where ever you park most times. Once you figure that out and you find yourself parking in the same places, you can mark the position on the pole with a permanent marker. This way when you get to that spot you'll know which direction to turn it.

8. Deputy Chief

Nov 7, 2010
    Philadelphia,Pa.
    When you said a flat antenna, I was thinking of what I had used. It was a flat antenna, but it was for indoor and outdoor use. its an HDTV antenna. I hope that helps, Good Luck

9. CharlesS

Aug 9, 2013
    How did you route the cable out of the cab?

10. Deputy Chief

Nov 7, 2010
    Philadelphia,Pa.
    If you look under your side box on the outside, you should find a spot where you have Q-comm wires or something coming in, you can sneak in next to that. If not you should have a plug or two not being use, just drill a small hole in the rubber plug and push the coax through. Make sure you lift the matting up inside the compartment, and check, to make sure no other wires or anything in the way. You will also have to buy an adapter (double female) and a small roll of extra coax to complete the job.

11. CharlesS

Aug 9, 2013
    When I bought the TV and antenna near sacramento I wasn't able to pick up any signal. After moving around with my loads I have been doing ok with picking up local stations, usually 20-30 with occasional interference from passing trucks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.