3 random questions from a new driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DC843, Nov 25, 2015.

1. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Just a few things on my mind..

1. besides per diem, is their any other tax deductions specific to this job that you can claim to have less taxable income?

2. when using an automatic, how does using the engine brake work? my company has all autos and my trainer is an L/P and did not get an engine brake on his truck.. so when downgrading, get to safe speed, then brake 10 below that, once it gets back to that, repeat... but im hoping someone can explain a little on how the engine brake would work with having an automatic and not putting it in one specific gear?

3. I see companies offering DirecTV in their trucks, so im wondering if anyone knows of any sort of satellite WiFi service that you can get for riding down the road? or something similar, something where once it was partners shift I could get on the laptop while they drove.

thanks

pattyj Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    All great questions op.

DC843 Thanks this.
  4. GiantBeard

GiantBeard Medium Load Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Petaluma/Indio, CA
    #3). Get a wireless hotspot from a phone company, like at&t. Plug it in, get Internet, as long as you have cell service. We use a couple at the farm, but i don't want to pay out my 'exhaust port' for WiFi.

Jrivas23 and DC843 Thank this.
  5. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    oh yeah I didn't think of that. im wondering if I can get one that runs off the data already on my cell phone plan.

6. GiantBeard

Oct 16, 2015
    Petaluma/Indio, CA
    Yep, most likely so. Don't expect blazing speed, or nice rates, but if you need to pay your bills and watch some funny cat videos, that's your ticket.

7. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    Alright, I'll start on the engine brake...

A bunch of different types of engine brakes, and a bunch of different ways they are exactly activated..
    On the automatics, its usually activated when a switch completes when your throttle pedal is off, not pressed

How much de-accel you get and how its applied totally varies between trucks also!

You gotta run some miles to find your happy spots man...You'll have a control somewhere to shut it off and set the level usually, I keep it off, some guys leave it on all the time..

The hills? just start slow and work your way up to faster speeds,,dont try to do the speed limit, dont over rev, dont speed, if you gotta run 23mph with your 4 ways on, do it...Just think in your brain "can i handle and control this vehicle no matter what"??

You'll have to nail some miles and tell us how to run that truck!!!

Just keep it slow yo, you wont be popular, but you'll never be in the ditch either..

8. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    thanks appreciate the info, so if im going down a hill and say want to stay at 40, with the jake turned on high will that keep it at speed I was at when I turned it on, will it slow me down, or just stop from accelerating as much? I know there's a lot of variables but im just trying to get a general idea of how it would work. I don't want to be relying on only my brakes when going down a mountain.

9. GiantBeard

Oct 16, 2015
    Petaluma/Indio, CA
    Just turn it on and try it out. It won't bite. It wont break anything. At worst, you'll slow down more than you thought.

Gear down (decelerate in an auto?) and feel the power of stress free downgrade management.

10. damil

damil Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2012
    three random answers
    1. blue
    2. broadway
    3.banana...
    sorry had to if I did not someone else would

PeteyFixAll, tucker and Cottonmouth85 Thank this.
  11. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    There is no exact answer for that, it depends on the grade, your weight, the gear ratios etc.

Example, when running, 70 over Vail, in an 8 speed Eaton, coming out of Eisenhower where the speed limit is 35, I could throw the truck in 6tu gear, Jake on hi, and just ride it down... After Vail, where it was 45, nothing would hold it at that speed, had to do some more light breaking.

I am in an auto now and the Jake is activated by stepping on the brake for a second. Functions the same though.

I do switch to manual mode though in the mountains. I don't like where it shifts on its own

White_Knuckle_Newbie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.