3406b pump mod help!!

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by flc120, Aug 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Miami,FL (yeah i know :( )
    well i wanted to mess with my pump as it appears to be all stock looking as it has all plugs,caps and covers still on it, but i wouldnt know for sure. ive read the write up on turning it up 2 ways.

i want to do it the way that i will get the more noticable improvement. Right now the truck hardly burns any fuel at idle when reved or pulling period she will put out a good puff on hard pulls or WOT, or if shifted to early but no where neat what my other 7FB 3406b cat did.

im unsure if i have a b or c model pump as it has a sensor looking thing behind pump with two wires then it has another larger solenoid looking thing with wires going to it as well like 2 of them.

underneath this piece theres a funny shaped plate with 2 bolts holding it to the back of the pump. are the adjustments screws in there?

i will post pics you tell me were to start

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
    i know i can do this myself just need a lil guidance. my current EX temps are low and always stay low, since i dont leave the state of FL there arent any major grades i hardly pass 650-700 on long hard pulls

this is my pump
    [​IMG]

this is the oval shaped plate with the 2 bolts

[​IMG]

and i think this is the part that has to come off and have me push in correct?it has a hard line going to it which goes to the intake manifold? the one on the top.

[​IMG]

4. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    If its original motor its should be a B/C and if it has air to air its a B/C. The sensor with the 2 wires is the jake brake shut off switch the solenoid above it is the shut off valve and above it is the AFRC, which is where you can control the amount of smoke it dumps out. The goofy S looking plate at teh bottom of the pump is where the screws are to turn the motor up.

5. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
    hey les thanks for chiming in so in my 3rd pic there are two solenoid looking things is it the top one that has the hard line going from it to intake manifold or is it the one underneath it which has the 2 wires going to it?

so in the 2nd pic the plate below the AFRC is what has to come off for me to adjust the 2 screws?

6. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
    both screws to turn up engine and afrc both go turned counterclockwise to turn up power and smoke?

i dont want overkill just noticable differnece and a lil more burn how many turns should i go in each area of the pump?

7. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
  8. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    The AFRC is the one on top with the hard line running to the back of it. The fuel screws are behind that plate at the bottom of the pump in behind the frame rail. Its the one covered in oil with the bolt one above the other.

Hey Tony..............................................

He's the guy you need to talk with, he showed/talked me thru alot of stuff I did. He talked me thru tearing apart the back of the fuel pump over the phone and putting it back together. It was like he was standing there watching me do it too!

9. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
  10. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
    dam whos would tony be on the forum? was trying to see if i could work on this now lol.

the fuel screws on the bottom i just take that cover off and turn those out 3 turns counterclockwise?

11. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    He goes by "ynot" but I don't think he surfs the forums much anymore.

Like that article said, if you're pulling up to 21 lbs of boost its stock. I'd only go 3 turns at first and run it a day.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.