3406E Losing fuel prime

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by RollinCoal02, Jan 23, 2017.

1. RollinCoal02

RollinCoal02 Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Green Bay, WI
    Had a cracked head on our 3406E, Replaced the head, installed new injector O-Rings, replaced all fuel lines to the tank, and up to the transfer pump, Replaced the check valve, replaced fuel primer pump, replaced all fuel filters.

I put air to the lines when i hooked them all up to make sure they werent leaking as i installed them.

The only way i can keep the truck running is by pressurizing the fuel tank, and cracking the first fuel filter to bleed air out of the suction line. Truck fires up right away, seems to lose prime after it sits a short period of time.

I have not checked fuel pressure, or vacuum on fuel lines as i do not have any gauges handy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. maggard359

maggard359 Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Florida
    Plugged vents on tanks? Leave caps off after starting. Could you have put injector oring in wrong groove?

4. RollinCoal02

RollinCoal02 Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Green Bay, WI
    only have 1 tank, its not plugged. what does leaving the caps off after starting do. Injector O rings are installed correctly, I double checked as i put them back in

5. maggard359

maggard359 Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Florida
    Cap off would check plugged vent. A plugged vent creates vacuum on the line

6. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I have some clear hoses from the hardware store. I took them to the hydraulic shop and had male and female JIC fittings put on each end. Some have push lock fittings on them and others are the inner sections for reusable cloth braided hose. The clear tube is double banded on them. They answer a lot of questions for me. Primary fuel filter? Have seen more than one bad and different brands.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.