$5800 overweight ticket! 18 months driver

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by eivery10, Apr 29, 2016.

1. eivery10

eivery10 Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2016
    I am a daycab company driver and I was sent with trailer to a location to pick up a different truck. It was 1:00pm in afternoon and traffic was heavy. One quarter of a mile from my destination. I turn down a short brief resident all street. Bethlehem pa Cop pulls me over and ask for license and reg. I give him reg but remember I left my license in my car.

I just know he's going to give me a ticket for the license and disregard the weight ticket since I explained that I was only here making a pick up and my trucker gps brought me down this road.

Long story short, he calls his partner to bring scales and I end up leaving with a 5800$ fine!!

Before I sign the ticket I look at him and asked, " You couldn't let me go?" He said plainly that I was 10klbs overweight. Mind you I am in a 53' "empty" trailer. I look at him but with nothing to say. I then sign.

I left knowing that this would be dismissed by the attorney Drivers legal plan hires for me.
    He is a freaking immigration lawyer whose website advertises everything but Commercial traffic cases.
    The attorney tells me he got the fine down from $5800 to $3000! Wtf! When asked about why his website doesn't advertise traffic issues he states, "We just don't advertise but I handle all the cdl tickets here in this area and the DA never agreed to a fine of less than He advises me not to appeal. If I do and am found guilty I will face the maximum penalty. I have 2 weeks to decide.

To top it off, I tell my employer and he's says that they can pay for it bc I'm a good worker but but not all at once bc they don't want me to leave after they pay the fine. As they are aware I have been look for a job closer to home. I drive 1 hrs to and from work daily. (I know only home daily position I could find with 18months exp. I explained that I'd do whatever it take but afterwards felt slighted because if they were going to pay it they should pay it. However I understood his stance.

I just can't get over what's going on. The road was wide enough for cars to get by. There were no low clearences. No pedestrians. I just can't sit by and let the lawyer and the courts take advantage of an honest worker trying to earn a living? I've thought of all sort of reasons why someone would look at the circumstances and then the fine and not think that that's ridiculous to issue to someone. Is the officer racist? Are the prosecutor and the "hired" attorney in cahoots. In order to screw people over to bring money into town. I would hope not but I can't think of another reason.

I have never had anything bad to say about police or the judiciary system as a whole. I know that they are humans and are just doing a job. But this? This feels so personal.

Should I appeal even if it means facing the original penalty? If they can issue fines like this I'm in the wrong profession.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
    It SUCKS. but that's the way of it. It's good your employerer offered to pay Most would not. It's a tragedy the ones that are supposed to "serve and protect" have changed their motto to ENFORCEMENT.

Mike2633 and eivery10 Thank this.
  4. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    When I got tickets for 60 in a 50, and no inspection, or fuel sticker, the local judge said the company, or whoever was going to pay them, could set up a payment plan.

milkinitman and eivery10 Thank this.
  5. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    So was this the only possible road to get to your destination? Or were you just blindly following the GPS?

Lone Ranger 13, Bean Jr. and jldilley Thank this.
  6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Was the road posted or not ?

Lone Ranger 13 Thanks this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Your on a weight restricted road, and completely disregarded the sign saying residents only or local traffic only, and you ask if the cop is a racist? You blame your GPS for getting you in this situation.
    How about you man up, and take responsibility for your actions.
    I've had DPS help me out of several jams in New Jersey, because I didn't take it upon myself to break the law.
    If your GPS said continue forward, would you drive into a river, or over a cliff?

You should lease on with Prime or Swift, they are looking for professional drivers like yourself.

Bakerman, DTP, Lone Ranger 13 and 10 others Thank this.
  8. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    Sometimes they restrict weight on a road to protect the infrastructure under the load...there could be a storm sewer or irrigation canal running under the road, or maybe the roadbase and pavement thickness isn't as much as other roads. It might have nothing to do with power lines or pedestrians.

9. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    This is one reason I never fully trust a GPS even the trucker one. If I was you, I would of gone to court in person, the traffic attorney is doing no better then you could of done. You sound like a level headed individual who made a mistake. Usually when one goes to court, the judge/courts reduce the fine. I have had a red light ticket dismissed in the past when I was actually guilty.

rabbiporkchop and eivery10 Thank this.
  10. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    That little bit of residential you took just bit you. I bet they are on that road frequently.

11. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Take easy super Trucker.......lol....the OP is being straight up, not like these other noobies. We all have made mistakes and learned from them. I have had an over weight on axles and over grossed and have gotten a break from the scale master chp. Wrote me up for over weight on one set of axles. The shipper which is not my boss cause I'm an O/O, said he would pay half and I didn't even ask them too. Lumber changes in weight, could be dry and lite, or wet and heavy. When you have the big horses to pull heavy loads, you usually can tell at times.

Charlie Mac, tsavory and eivery10 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.