8 foot Firestick

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by wolverine11, May 6, 2016.

1. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    I talked to a JCT driver the other day outside of St Louis who had a 8 foot Firestick attenna on a Cascadia. He said that Firestick is going to start manufacturing them to be used on Cascadias, and right now the only place you can buy them is at the Flying J in Phoenix AZ. He said that they may consider making them in 2 pieces so they can ship them(UPS) . I asked him if the attenna was hitting overpasses and other structures and his reply was that he sprays it with WD40 to prevent it from breaking( dont know about that), if Im not mistaken wouldnt the overall height be close to 14 feet even if it were angled at 45 degrees, which his was. His handle was Tazmanian Devil and his attenna was indeed 8 ft ( looked funny ) but if there is any truth about Firestick mass producing this length I dont know if its true or not, anyone hear anything regarding this.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    Have not heard anything about that. I wonder about the wind loading on a fiberglass antenna that long. With the 7 ft. Skipshooter (sleeved with pvc pipe) it puts quite a load on the mount. I have no scientific basis but looking at the antennas in action and experience with the 5.5 ft. Francis, 8 ft. Ironhorse, and 5ft. Wilson, leaning the antennas forward without some type of support system increases the failure rate at the base. This can be either total separation as with the Francis or the wire breaking where it is soldered to the ferrule, the ironhorse, and wilson antennas. I attribute this to the extra flexing caused by gravity when the antenna is leaned further forward. I do hope you got the drivers contact info so we may hear how this experimental antenna holds up.

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  4. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Wow..8 footers...Not gonna work for me..Over passesin ny/jersey and maine will get me..Still casually lookin for a 6 or 7 to try.

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  5. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    WD40 and not breaking? That's pretty funny. Not laughing at you poster but what you were told.

Sidewinder373 and wolverine11 Thank this.
  6. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    If I was going to put 8-foot antennas on there it'll be steel

rabbiporkchop, mindes and wolverine11 Thank this.
  7. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    I also have doubts about WD 40 providing much protection from a bridge strike.

8. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Wd 40...ppppfffftttt thats a giggle...Thats like sayin if a mma fighter wears socks,he aint gonna break a leg...As mentioned above,not laughin at the wd 40 comment just who ever decided to make it a working fix..

wolverine11 and Skate-Board Thank this.
  9. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    In order to apply WD40 to attenna that long you would almost have to climb up a ladder, I laughed when he said that couldnt believe that was his reply.

10. catalinaflyer

catalinaflyer Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Why in gods green earth would you buy a 8' fire-anything when you could just put a 102" steel whip on there and have a true full length quarter wave antenna? I'm no radio expert and gave up CB's for ham class radios a few years ago.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  11. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    I guess a 102 will not tune in some cases...Dont know personally but it has been mentioned here somewhere..

catalinaflyer Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.