911! any advice please

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by perssy01, May 27, 2015.

1. perssy01

perssy01 Bobtail Member

May 27, 2015
    My husband just got his CDL with all endorsements and has been submitting applications like crazy everywhere. So far the only companies that have replied have been for OTR - Schneider and Swift. Any advice where to apply or what companies are good with hiring rookies and not take advantage? I have been helping a lot in researching for a GOOD company cause I definitely DONT want him too much time away from home and worse if the pay is not even worth it. I have read posts from previous employees over at Swift, Schneider, and US Express having the worst experience over with too much time away and sitting for hours rather than driving. Also what would be a decent cpm to consider when a rookie and what's an average amount of miles that are usually given. We are from Laredo/Border region and we do know friends that work here in their with local companies but still wont hire because he doesn't have the experience.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    What amount of time away is acceptable and what income per week is acceptable....to you...cause your the boss.

Dinomite Thanks this.
  4. perssy01

perssy01 Bobtail Member

May 27, 2015
    LOL no not really, we have 2 kids and wouldn't want them to spend just a day or two every two weeks. I have done the research on this companies and people just talk trash about it and how is not even worth it.

5. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    You may check out Celadon. I always see a ton of their trucks near Laredo. I don't think Schneider would be the worst choice either. I have no experience with either other than speaking to a Schneider recruiter a few years ago about their O/O program. The bad news is he is a rookie and he's going to have to pay his dues. The good news is if he can hang in there a year and not screw up his record he'll be able to upgrade significantly in pay and hometime. Who knows, maybe oil prices will come back up in 6 months or so and being close to Eagle Ford should put him in a good spot for some oilfield work. Anyway, good luck from a fellow Texan.

perssy01 Thanks this.
  6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    You should expect hubby to be home only 3 days per month for at least the first year.
    The pay isn't great when first starting out, and each home time you will take a bit hit in at least 1 weeks paycheck.

Maybe you should go to the Swift terminal and talk with some of the drivers, since that is where he would be based out of.

Dinomite Thanks this.
  7. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    Times are tough and rookies don't have anything to offer but a brand new cdl. He is going to stay out 2 to 3 weeks. Prime and Crete hire rookies and start them off pretty good. 2500 miles a week should be an average week. He can do a lot better but 2500 miles should be a nice average. Once he gets some expierence then he can chase dollar signs and home time, but right now he needs to get in where he fits in.

Most people are cry babies so don't listen to all the horror stories. When your hubby starts to cry. Slap the mess out of him and tell him to man up and getter done.

Infosaur, 77smartin, Puppage and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Right ON, Dinomite!

Dinomite Thanks this.
  9. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    The first 12 months will be the toughest for a rookie driver. He needs to show at least that much with a spotless record before any of the better companies will even consider him,..and even with only 12 months he will still not in a position to pick and choose,.. though is options will be better.

Not sure what to say other that you guys are going to have to toughen up and weather out the industry if this is the career path he will follow. Trucking itself is more of a lifestyle than a career in most regards. A driver either loves it or does it to make ends meet. The latter usually end up miserable and job hopping often and rarely find a good fit.

Hurst

Dinomite Thanks this.
  10. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

The bad news: your husband is new and he's gonna have to pay his dues like most of us did.

Expect to only see him a few days a month for the first year or so. On the other hand it would be more often than you'd see him if he'd joined the military.

The good news: it DOES get better, if your husband has the aptitude to be a truck driver. And since Laredo is a major port, your husband should be able work regularly near your house. In other words you'd see him more than if you lived in FL, CT, MI, etc.

The ugly: the flip side of that is some 'organizations' are determined to lower the 'cost' of trucking. One of these methods is to outsource trucking to other countries. In practice we're talking Mexico here, and your right on the fault line of what is going to be a continuing issue in the trucking industry. Your husband may end up competing with Mexican Nationals for work, which will supress his earnings.

perssy01 Thanks this.
  11. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Another option is to look to food and bev companys, hard work from what i hear but they may train. Or belive it or not street sweeping, (hear me out) up here at least sweepers are hauled around by tri axle dumps. Full A needed. Thing is almost nobody has exsperance so they have to train 99 percent anyway. Paving company with B and A trucks, get in on a B with the agreement that you intend to move up. Roll off trucks again a B at first look but many pull pups thats a A. And some do frameless end dump or transfer trucks. Yes you will probably have to tough it out, but keep your eyes open, be suprised how many big trucks run around doing things you didnt even think of

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.