97 mack ch613 with e7-350 engine cuts out under load

Discussion in 'Mack Forum' started by scotasmus, Apr 29, 2015.

1. scotasmus

scotasmus Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Engine cut out when under load or going up hill. Let of the gas and engine kicks back in. Thought it may be tps but no problems revving up while sitting still or bobtail ing around lot.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Do you have to turn the key to get it restarted or does it auto restart itself?

4. scotasmus

scotasmus Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2015
    It auto restarts itself

5. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Could it be a ground wire?

6. Mack427

Mack427 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2009
    elec.plug on the fuel pump if its not a manual motor

scotasmus and Ok big boy Thank this.
  7. scotasmus

scotasmus Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Mack427 this is the second time I have heard something about wiring to the injection pump. It is not manual. It has wires coming out the back of it to a connector that looks like a pro link or computer style plug from there it goes into engine wiring harness. It also has 2 wires coming out the side. I red something about 12 volt supply from ecm to some kind of electromagnet in pump. Been work on trucks for 20 years but very little experience with mack motors any suggestions what to look for would be much appreciated.

8. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Saw that on a different model that finely shut down and would not start. Starter would turn engine but not start. Starter was grounded internally to battery cable and cab was grounded to starter ground terminal. Everything else checked OK but test light would light between engine and frame or starter ground terminal. No ground to engine could be found, even left unhooked, installed one and it started. It had to ground through engine mounts, driveline, suspension, etc. and when it lost ground shut off. Sounds simular, good luck, and let us know what it was if you figure it out.

9. Mack427

Mack427 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2009
    pins go bad get loose lose connection on the plug at the pump alot of the time you can shake that plug and make it act up or clear it up its a sure sign it needs new pins

scotasmus Thanks this.
  10. scotasmus

scotasmus Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Thanks will let you know what I find.

11. AnneK

AnneK Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Does this one have the EUP system on the right side of the motor with the PCM right in front of it? If so I had a similar problem and had to do multiple repairs for a fix. First I found that the under hood fuse block was corroded and some of the breakers and fuses had actually broken, but they were unused in my truck so I didn't know until the ECM fuse was affected. It was so bad, I just did a new panel in a more watertight location. Then I pulled my flash codes, got a code 82, found I had a bad unit pump and in pulling several to confirm the electric failure, I found some torn up, leaky unit pump seals. They've been updated a couple times. Have you checked the oil and see if it smells like fuel at all or is your oil over? I also found 2 bad ground wires to the motor and when I removed the PCM clips I found the Metripack terminals on both sides on the front clip were green and corroded so I had to clean them. This is kind of a common issue if you do a search you'll find a lot. One good place to start is to pull your flash codes if you have an electronic failure light. That can point you in the right direction.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.