A couple examples of oilfield driving.

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Highway Hypnosis, May 26, 2015.

1. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Had a delivery last weekend in the middle of the night just north of Laredo, with a monsoon storm pouring down. The headlights on my truck were really dim to begin with, and I found it essential to use a handheld spot light (powerful enough to sear your retinas to the back of your skull) in order to figure out where to go.

I had 10 miles to get to the rig from the paved road. Half a mile in I came to a quarter mile section of water about 12-18" deep and crawled through it. A truck was parked on the other side, coming from the rig. I stopped and talked to him. He was broke down and informed me it was MUCH MUCH worse ahead. Then three pickups came through on their way to the rig, one was the directional tools manager, "Hey! Those are my tools! Oh, and by the way it's MUCH MUCH worse ahead! When in doubt just stay in the middle of the water, the sides have soft mud underneath!"

Okay....

.... two hours later I made it to the rig after driving through water that was at times close to the top of my fuel tanks, made the delivery and the rain started to ease to a drizzle.

I decided to try and make it back to the highway to take a 10. Most of the road was dry on the way back, but there was one raging stream about 30' wide that wasn't like that on the way in. I gunned it through there, but the water buried my headlights for a second and burned out my high beams shortly after that.

Here's a video I shot on the way in to the rig, on a section of road that was dry on the way out. Notice the water rushing toward me on the road.

Highway Hypnosis Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. niteninja

niteninja Bobtail Member

May 7, 2015
    every where
  4. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    :help:That's gotta suck! Hope he knew how to swim:Yellow submarine::dontknow:

5. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    That's exactly why I had a 32 inch led light bar on my roof and 11r 24.5 mud tires hahaha
    I couldn't wait for nights like that. I would out climb and out drive everyone from work hahaha
    Franc crews used to always ask why I never had problems and everyone else complained.
    I would tell them there is a off road heavy haul special trucker school were only the best of the best get invited hahaha

They would sit like little kids in school when I talked after that.

Good times. Very good times.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.