A friend in need.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by hrdman2luv, Oct 5, 2015.

1. hrdman2luv

hrdman2luv Medium Load Member

Dec 24, 2006
    100% Texan til I die.
    I had an old high school buddy show up the other day. He's pretty much a homeless vet who's needing a little help. He has no money & no job. His home (not house) is in South Central Ar. He's 45. 10% disabled. And has back problems. So that keeps him from getting any sort of job around here (east Texas), because most of the available jobs around here are labor intense and don't pay squat. (or over time)
    Anyways, he and I started talking about trucking & trucking schools. I think it would be a pretty good thing for someone in his situation. I'm guessing he'll have to attend a school that also has a trucking company attached to it. Something like CR. England. (Except NOT CR. England because they suck)
    Something that will provide basic necessities like a bed, food, shower while he's going to school.

Anyone have any good advice?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Southern Refrigerated Transport or Maverick. Both are near Little Rock.

4. hrdman2luv

Dec 24, 2006
    100% Texan til I die.
    They have room & board?

UPDATE. I just checked out SRT. That sounds like something he could do. Thanks

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  5. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Southern refrigerated provides 3 meals a day and hotel. Maverick provides housing. Best to go on Mavericks website to check on meals. They provide meals but I can't remember the exact details. Earl Henderson in Illinois provides hotel, meals and training. They would provide transport to the school.

6. hrdman2luv

Dec 24, 2006
    100% Texan til I die.
    Awesome. Thank you again.

SHOJim Thanks this.
  7. strannyd

strannyd Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2015
    QUOTE="hrdman2luv, post: 4822624, member: 5308"]I had an old high school buddy show up the other day. He's pretty much a homeless vet who's needing a little help. He has no money & no job. His home (not house) is in South Central Ar. He's 45. 10% disabled. And has back problems. So that keeps him from getting any sort of job around here (east Texas), because most of the available jobs around here are labor intense and don't pay squat. (or over time)
    Anyways, he and I started talking about trucking & trucking schools. I think it would be a pretty good thing for someone in his situation. I'm guessing he'll have to attend a school that also has a trucking company attached to it. Something like CR. England. (Except NOT CR. England because they suck)
    Something that will provide basic necessities like a bed, food, shower while he's going to school.

Anyone have any good advice?[/QUOTE]
    you or yL contact any Veterans Center in the area you're located.also have him contact a place called Swords to Plowshares they help veterans tremendously. I'm a veteran myself 40% disability actually they just increase me to 70% but it's only because I continue to pursue with the VA. they also help me train me so I could get back into the workforce.if you or your friend has any questions you can reach me at area code 925-864-4438 my name is Dan.

123456 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  8. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Even though some of the companies will pay for food and board, he will still have to have the money to get his license, I think at Prime it was around $150.00 that had to be paid for processing also. Then there is the TWIC card.

Might check and see if the schools are offering anything for vets, according to how long he has been out, don't know if there is a timeframe for them on this or not.

He will also have to have an address for his mail, not a PO Box anymore. His CDL will be mailed to that address.

hrdman2luv and pattyj Thank this.
  9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Your buddy is lucky to have you for a friend.Whatever route he takes keep in mind he will more then likely have to share his room with other students.He's going to need some money maybe you or a family member of his can help him.

hrdman2luv Thanks this.
  10. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    I would suggest scratching Maverick off that list. They put potential drivers through a pretty vigorous physical. By far the toughest I've been through. They send guys packing at the slightest issue. So, I would think your buddy's back problem would be cause for a bus ride home with Maverick. Don't know how they would handle the disability though.

11. XCELERATIONRULES

XCELERATIONRULES Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Celadon pays 100% of everything,with a basic physical and drug test.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.