A new tanker yanker

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Spyke, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Spyke

Spyke Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2016
    I'm still waiting for the ink to dry on my cdl, and I've
    landed a job driving tankers. I have a good feeling about the company, rather small, good pay and benifits, leastways I think so. 20hr and move up fast. Lots of overtime available. I trained on ten speed freightliners. I was told I'd test on a 13 and need to float gears. I somehow did this, and have a job. The journey I began by asking for advice here on truckers report is bearing fruit. Any advice for a new tanker yanker? I have never driven a full truck of anything, they say surge isnt all that bad, exceptin a half full tank shifting side to side. Going from driving a freightliner with a short trailer on it to a peterbuilt with double tankers was way different. Clutch felt like it wasnt really there and the brake was low to the floor. I remember having to stop the freightliner by extreeeeemely gently getting on top of the brake. I felt like I had to karate kid the brake on the peterbuilt just to get the vehicle to slow by comparison. Was able to float gears by end of road check so smooth my "tester" thought I might have been using the clutch. I felt pretty good about. Impressed with how far I've come, highly cognizant of how far I have to go.

The stuff I'll be driving is mostly Marine lubricants, not too hazardous. Sometimes I feel good about landing a tanker job right out the gate. Sometimes I feel like its ridiculous they'd let someone do this without experience. Sometimes I am just thankful theres enough of a shortage for me to land a job with a living wage off the bat, and fully comitted to being the best and safest driver on the road. I'll try to update as I can.
    I thank each and every one of you for your advice and help thats got me this far.

JReding, Redtwin, tscottme and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Congratulations on the new job!
    Those jobs are there for new cdl grads if they have the motivation to go knock on doors.
    There's no reason why a new cdl grad shouldn't start his new career driving tankers and that's why tanker outfits hire them. Best wishes.

G13Tomcat, JReding, Thull and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Spyke

Spyke Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Seriously, thanks Chinatown! You helped me believe I could do this out the gate, and that in turn let me stick it to my in-laws who weretrying to tell me you had to have ten accident free years to get a tanker job. Sticking it to the in laws is a sacred thing, and I thank you for your sage advice in this matter.

5. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Good for you! You landed a good gig that sounds local and in tanks. You have proven to others here that getting a Class A does not have to equal getting experience from a mega carrier. I got my Class A and like you, got a local job in a tanker. Welcome to the life. Make some money, keep a social life, and enjoy yourself. Good luck

G13Tomcat, Spyke and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, lots of myths out there about certain jobs; especially tankers. Even on this forum people tell other drivers not to go with tankers until they get driving experience with van or reefers for a few years. If they do that they're losing out on 10's of thousands of dollars.
    My first job out of cdl school was with the worst company in America, Midwestern Distribution, because I just didn't know how to approach looking for a job. My friend in the same class landed a good job with a now defunct company, Sam Tanksley Trucking, with a dedicated team run doing California turnarounds from Nashville,TN. They ran those runs as fast as they could, back to back. He tried to contact me about the job, but couldn't reach me because I was in Ft. Scott, KS in orientation with a junk company and no cell phone then.
    Good for you for starting out on top!

Spyke Thanks this.
  7. Spyke

Spyke Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2016
    If I'm ahead, its because of you guys!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. xahmdm

xahmdm Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2014
    plymouth IN
    I feel the same way. With 3 years of miscellaneous experience with flatbed, bottom-hopper and dump truck I just signed on to drive fuel tanker. I interviewed with a handful of local companies and each was willing to put me to work on the spot! But I believed in myself and in what I have to offer and waited over 9 months for what I thought was the best deal I could find. And I found it! Hourly pay, home each night and extensive benefits including pension. Pretty good for a major life and career change in my 50's!

Spyke, cheers to both of us and and much appreciation to ALL for sharing your tips and experiences.
    Now I have to erase my name from the Job Boards and get the crazy #@&! recruiters to quit calling me! Ugh!

Spyke and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Fantastic! Many safe miles to you.

Spyke Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yeah, I also love sticking it to the inlaws; it's euphoric!

Spyke Thanks this.
  11. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Congrats dude, I also went local out of the gate, hourly with OT. Screw giving up your life for $40k/yr to pay some make believe "dues".

G13Tomcat, bottomdumpin, Spyke and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.