A Question for Trucking Companies

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Mr. Hollywood, Dec 4, 2015.

1. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    I would like to add just a small detail to what Mr.Hollywood's stated.
    He is 100% correct. Corporate America,These larger carriers,(Non-union irregular route) are concerned about their bottom Lines only.

I hate it when I see the unknowledgeable buy equipment on a second mortgage then LEASE it on with existing carriers strengthening THEIR(carriers) customer base..It kills me when I see this because you are falling in their business trap. Even though you just invested $200,000 on a truck and trailer, You are scrap just like anyone else. that should Bother you, It surely would do me.

Secondly,If you truly have it in your heart to become an "owner-operator" Do it the right way..

Have a business plan in mind,Secure your own outbound freight consistently, (And inbound too if you can) Leave the 3pl's alone.They are strategically educated to protect their bottom lines too, They don't care about you.

While Mr.Hollywood and myself will get much grief from these postings...its the truth.And until truck drivers-Independent operators start organizing a smarter approach in business..The vicious circle of being "used" will continue.

TBonze Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mr. Hollywood

Mr. Hollywood Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Good advise. It's a shame that so many people are quick to take on a lease without thoroughly looking into it. They just see $$ signs, but have no idea what a business plan is or how to think like a business owner. They think that all they need to do is drive and there account will grow. Before someone comes on and says that I am generalizing again, allow me to make it clear, "not everyone who signs on with a lease lacks business savy," but many do. Unfortunately, I know someone who is like that. He tells me he is making all this money, but when I ask him about his expenses he has no idea what they are. The worst part is he tried to tell me that the money he is making is net after taxes because the company takes them out. I had to explain to him that he is a contractor not an employee so he has to do his own personal income tax. This lack of business conscous people entering lease agreements plays a big part in so many failed leases. It isn't necessarily do to a bad lease. It should be thought of as a means to an end not as a get rich business plan, but a tool that may help someone reach the goal of owning there own truck down the road. I know some people need to go that route do to credit issues and that's fine, but be smart and have that plan. Without a plan you won't know if the agreement you enter will help you reach your goals or head you further from them. Thanks for sharing.

stayinback Thanks this.
  4. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    5 years ago Transam had 1100 trucks
    they have 40-50 people in orientation every week
    5 years later they have 1100 trucks
    40-50 people in orientation every week
    70% of the fleet is l/p
    seems to me that means 40-50 quit each week
    yes by all means please lease a truck
    it is the fastest way to nirvana
    sorry if i sounded rude or condescending ealier

5. Cranky Yankee

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    I only gross $1350 for a 5 day work week
    with company paid health insurance
    I must go L/P a truck
    where do i sign up

6. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Probably not a good idea, since by your own admission you're a failure as businessman.

7. Cranky Yankee

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    the goverment slashed the swordfish quota so it became unprofitable to proceed
    and i had a son contract leukemia at 21 spent $350000 cash on exotic treatments trying to save him
    but yes after that I failed

scottlav46 Thanks this.
  8. Mr. Hollywood

Nov 15, 2015
    It's a shame that some people like to add insults when they don't agree with your opinion. Sorry that you and your family went through that struggle. I appreciate your views. I was making a minimum of 1500.00 a week, guaranteed, as a company driver until a month ago. At that time lease purchase was not on my mind, but the company decided to cut the fleet because they could not justify paying us at that rate when the work load didn't support it. Now I make significantly less so I decided to look into leasing, but as I said before, "I haven't found a company that offers a compensation package that would make it a real option at this point." I have run some numbers that are ok, but you have to run over 3,000 miles a week consistently and even then I would clear a little more than what I was making. I would be ok with that if I controlled my routing, but not so much when someone else is in control of that.

9. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Key Word "Control"

Too many 'assume' when they lease onto a carrier that they operate their truck to substantiate their weekly earnings..It doesn't work that way..You are at the carriers mercy

For instance, Lets say you lease a truck to,..hmm Lanstar, And they simply dont have freight.or its slow, They wont suffer. YOU WILL. Why? because their name is on the side of YOUR truck, They control your outcome of earning potential....I couldn't operate a business like that. My Truck = My way.I dictate customer volumes in good times and bad, not someone I dont know, cause they can care less whether you sit or not

if its slow I'll be the one to justify that. Not others.

Once people realize this (as the other poster suggested) They end up breaking the lease because the income does not cover fixed and variable expenses...

are there success stories becoming a lease operator? Probably, But Ive yet heard of anyone leased on with someone that has paved their way to a financial bloom.

10. Cranky Yankee

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    leasing onto a carrier and lease purchase from a carrier are 2 different animals. I recommend any new O/O lease onto a carrier for a lil while to get his feet wet as an owner
    working load boards isn't for everyone.
    Betting the farm on a carrier more then happy to lease you a truck to run for them exclusively is a recipe for disaster

Like everything else in life the devil is in the details

scottlav46 and Mr. Hollywood Thank this.
  11. Mr. Hollywood

Nov 15, 2015
    I agree with yo 100%. I guess that's why I can't find a company that meets the things I'm looking for.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.