A train doubles weight question

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Pullin2, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island
    Hey all.

I'm not new to the rodeo. I've hauled doubles back in the old days, and b trains, and twin 53's .... etc.

A train doubles have changed a bit since I hauled them 20 + years ago. Air bags on dolly's, plungers ( spuds ) on the pintle hooks and the lunettes, etc.

One thing that I'm pretty sure is the same is that the light trailer is always on the rear. A train, B train, turnpikers, etc.

I have a dedicated run now. 350 miles return. Always doubles. Always light weight.

Here's my question. Purely curiosity. Sometimes my pups are pretty close in weight. Yes, I always put the heavy on the front. Old habits..... But at what weight to you other double and triple drivers deem safe to mix and match ? Do you get me ? What I'm saying is this: If you're trailers are already lined up in the 'build' yard, and the one in the rear is IE 1,000 lbs heavier then the lead, do you change them around, or do you go with what's there ?

What is your weight cut off ? Does it matter to you ( weight related ) what the coming road conditions are going to be like ?

Finally, I know what courier, floor load, and LTL pups are like. The B of L weights are FAR from accurate. I can't tell you how many pups I've drove around the yard as singles just to feel the weight for myself before deciding how to build my train.

Looking forward to the responses ..... hope I get some.

Thanks

Big Don and HeWhoMustNotBeNamed Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HeWhoMustNotBeNamed

HeWhoMustNotBeNamed Crusty Pogosticker!!

Jan 25, 2012
    Cartoon Network
    I never pulled Doubles. .... but I hear it's a smart move to put the Concubines in which ever one the wife ain't in.

S M D, lots of character and Pullin2 Thank this.
  4. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    the word rhymes with porcupine ...... was that tell ya ?? LOL ..... I guess anyone can be a prick if they want to ...... LOL

Big Don and HeWhoMustNotBeNamed Thank this.
  5. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I've pulled a few sets in my life, but I sure don't have enough experience to answer your question. Since the little that I did, was me doing my own hooks, I didn't have any problem with the way they were set up.

Pullin2 Thanks this.
  6. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    BTW Don - Long time - no speak. I don't mean to 'badger' you, but how ya feelin' since you had that last million mile in-frame done ?

HeWho - stop creeping around the edges and post a picture of a duck or a moose or something ..... we're getting worried about you !! LOL !

HeWhoMustNotBeNamed and Big Don Thank this.
  7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Hey thanks for asking! I'm doing really good! Hitting PT three times a week for the past few months, and actually feeling human again. Still don't have the old stamina, but then that may be more age than anything. . .:cool:

Don't worry about HeWho. He's just bein' HeWho!:D

Pullin2 and HeWhoMustNotBeNamed Thank this.
  8. HeWhoMustNotBeNamed

HeWhoMustNotBeNamed Crusty Pogosticker!!

Jan 25, 2012
    Cartoon Network
    I thought I posted this earlier ? Guess it didn't work ? ... [​IMG] ... how 'bout both ?

Pullin2 Thanks this.
  9. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Ohhhh boy ......... the Texas Moose is loose ........... !

talk about hijacking ! Not one answer to the OP !!

HeWhoMustNotBeNamed Thanks this.
  10. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    If the lead and the pup trlr are close to the same length, I always use the heaviest as the lead trlr. Used to get stuck with a pair of 30' trlrs occasionally and that 1000 would make a difference, especially a top heavy load. pulled mostly 40' with a 27' pup and that setup was pretty solid no matter how I loaded it.
    In the winter I would cut a little weight on the pup if possible, and keep the load to the back of the pup and load to the front of the lead

I pulled triples a little, but never pulled double 53's If they handle anything like that 30-30 combo, then no thank you! ;)

Pullin2 Thanks this.
  11. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Pulled doubles and triples for 15 years now. On a set, during summer, our scale allows 1000 lb difference. So your back can be 1000 heavier than the lead. Triples offers zero flexibility in this. Must go in order.

snowlauncher and Pullin2 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.