Accepted at Prime...who else should I consider?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by rbgtag, Feb 8, 2016.

1. rbgtag

rbgtag Light Load Member

May 6, 2013
    I have sent applications to Prime, Earl Henderson, and Millis... I was declined at Millis...out of their hiring area. Have to be in August or Atlanta...I live near Savannah. I'm looking very closely at going tanker, so I have been looking at CTL but they don't have a school. I don't have my CDL A, but do have my B license.

My wife and I are looking to team at some point, but I would like to go through the process and maybe be able to train her in the long run.

As I have looked at Prime's training, am I right in reading that you go and study for your CDL permit...get it...then they put you on a working truck and you learn just by doing???? No yard time or practice in a yard? Seems interesting. Nothing like throwing you to the wolves.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Scott

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Hey, that's great. Best of luck to you.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  4. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Pretty much everyone except carolina cargo, swift, and western express. Hit up every food service, beverage company, and ltl company within commuting distance. The worst that can happen is they can say is no.

Puppage Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you plan to team with your wife, best to go with a company that runs coast to coast constantly. There's no money with short runs either solo or teams.You could start first, then after you're qualified, be your wife's trainer with the same company.

Southern Refrigerated Transport
    U.S. Express

Both good for husband/wife teams.
    U.S. Express cdl school is in MS by Memphis.
    Southern Refrigerated Transport school is in Texarkana,AR at the University of Arkansas. They provide hotel room at the Clariton Inn plus 3 meals a day.

rbgtag Thanks this.
  6. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    China, are you nuts? Some of the best paying gigs in this industry are short runs. Long hours, but low miles.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where? Maybe union LTL runs? Where for new cdl grads?
    Some people might like that, but I wouldn't because I like long coast to coast runs.

Puppage and TequilaSunrise Thank this.
  8. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Food service and beverage companies. Non union ltls as well as union.

Now i agree with you on i'd never want that kind of job, but that wasn't what was said. You said that only coast to coast paid good.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I still think that's right for teams. I did good running solo coast to coast. He's looking for good husband/wife team jobs. Sure, there's good paying short runs for solo drivers; I agree.

10. TequilaSunrise

TequilaSunrise Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    Husband and I went to school together.

People thought I was crazy... But I wanted to work with someone that had lots of experience and could really help me be a better driver. Also, we have different backgrounds and have different learning styles.

But being a team will get you on with a company that may pass on you separately.

Decide where you want to work and send in an existing resume. Let them know you are interested in a career change. You and your wife want to team drive. What school would they recommend?

They responded to us. The conversation will open your eyes up to what is out there.

We were able to meet terminal hiring managers and hr supervisors, not recruiters. We passed on all the recruiter business because we wanted to interact with people that could make our careers better and who cared about the quality of the employee versus the quantity of people they could sign up.

The school we attended was a good fit and they went above and beyond to train us right. Recruiters came by there and chatted us up, but we already had a company in mind so their song and dance was transparent.

Good luck!

rbgtag and 123456 Thank this.
  11. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant

Not sure where you got your information on training at Prime.

1 week orientation & getting your permits.

2 weeks (or more if needed) on road for instruction before coming in to test for your CDL.

I spend time with my students on both pad & local driving around before we ever go out, and get as much backing practice in as we can while out during that instruction on road. We drill pretrip on a daily basis, till it is second nature. I spend at least two days on pads when we get back before testing, with a bit more local driving around, tailored more towards what they will actually see for road test.

After passing test & obtaining license, you go out with a trainer for at least 30,000 miles at a MINIMUM. More if needed, or any preventable accident type issues. Will typically take around three months. I've gotten some of my better students through in as little as 2mos. (Pretty hard running, not many capable of that). Some have taken 4mos+. Everyone is different as to development of their skills & knowledge, and vary in miles they are capable of driving. Yes, this period is a working truck. I need to be confident my students can handle every aspect of the job safely before cutting them loose in their own truck. My reputation & conscious allow nothing less. When a student gets out of my truck, they are fully running that truck as if it was their own, including the business side, if they so desire.

Hope this clarifies a bit for you.

This thread will probably help you out, most everything you need to know. Some info is becoming dated, but covers most. Start at the beginning 20 pages or so.

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...nc-what-to-expect-springfield-edition.197427/

Due your due deligence & weed through some advice given to you here. Check out as many companies as you can & talk to folks that actually drive there. You have to find the best fit for your particular situation.

Best of luck to you wherever you go.

:biggrin_25525:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    rbgtag and Puppage Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.