Accidents

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by rokue, Nov 23, 2015.

1. rokue

rokue Heavy Load Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Nashville,TN
    I just started driving solo by myself first time in jersey and had my first accident in only a week. It was a preventable accident I backed over a pipe that I couldn't see at a reciever they called the police and got a ticket. Messed up my front bumper. The next day I make the wrong turn from the reciever and end up on a street that says strictly no trucks and can't turn around and have to make a right turn at the end of the street and run over a fire hydrant no damage to my truck, but the rusty hydrant broke wasn't leaking water t he cop said #### happens didn't write me a ticket, but my second preventable accident in a week. I am still employed here at trans am, but am wondering what my options would be in the future am I stuck here for 3 years or might another company hire me after a year? Miles are low for me here too many relays and trucks breaking down.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Get out and look and walk around the back of your truck before you back up.

77smartin and BuckeyeKev Thank this.
  4. BuckeyeKev

BuckeyeKev Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Cincinnati, O-H-I-O
    I've got to say right now, you've got bigger fish to worry about than where you can go in a year. I'm a rookie too, and about to venture into NJ for the first time but, you've got to slow down. GOAL and you might miss that pipe. Don't worry about looking dopey or embarrassing yourself by asking. There are no COOL points in the unemployment line.

Best of luck!

5. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Get on a street that you are not allowed on and can't turn around? STOP. Throw the flashers on and call the local po po. Have them block traffic so you can back out the way you came in. I've known multiple people, myself included, that have done this and none have gotten a ticket. Most officers will tell you they don't agree with where signs for trucks are placed.

As for the backing, G.O.A.L.
    All my stops I've been to multiple times (mostly at night) and most I will hop out and and look to see if anything has been changed. Dumpster didn't get put back where it was before. Did someone leave a shopping cart in front of the dock. Etc.

If you know something is wrong, it's best to stop and think it through and not panic.

6. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
  7. BuckeyeKev

BuckeyeKev Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Cincinnati, O-H-I-O
    I O!!

8. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    How did backing over a pipe mess up your front bumper??

9. rokue

rokue Heavy Load Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Nashville,TN
    It broke the plastic support that holds the driver side of the bumper onto the frame.

10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Problem I see here is the op needs more training. transam is what ten days with a trainer? Not going to learn much.op ask for more training if they say no then go elsewhere.I dont see these two accidents dampering you getting hired elsewhere.but I do see you're not even close to going solo.I have a feeling another accident is just around the corner.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You'll be OK and won't have to wait 3 yrs. to change companies.
    I'm assuming TransAm knows about the fire hydrant?
    I did the same with 15 or 20 yrs. driving experience; backed into a fire hydrant and broke it off. No water came out and the fire hydrant was rusty at the bottom. Drug it out of the street and put it beside a dumpster. Asked the receiver if they knew a fire was hydrant broken off behind the business. Told them I had to drag it out of the way to back in to the dock. Didn't tell them I did it; just that it was broken off and I had to move it to back in. Kept that off my DAC!
    If nothing else happens and you can stay at TransAm 12 months then try for South East Carriers in Lawrenceburg, TN. They don't do the Northeast. Lots of Southwest, West Coast and about everywhere except the Northeast.

bottomdumpin and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.