Advice on a FLD120

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Tama Mai Hawaii Nei, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Tama Mai Hawaii Nei

Tama Mai Hawaii Nei Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    I found a decent deal on a FLD120 has N14 and 15spd. Truck was hauling cars since new then used to move storage containers around a farm and has under 900k.

Problem been sitting the last 5 years. What issues will I have to look for. I plan on getting it home changing all the oils, tires, airlines, filters.

But what else might I have to address? For $4,500 I can't go wrong.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

All new wheel seals... also the motor seals might have dried out as well. New water lines and clamps new belts

Tama Mai Hawaii Nei Thanks this.
  4. Tama Mai Hawaii Nei

Sep 6, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    So basically all rubber and seals should be replaced then. Im pretty stoked about its a clean 1993 FLD Condo.

Attached Files:

5. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I would also check the exhaust system. If rain has been able to get into the exhaust it could have rusted. You could start by changing your oil and check for any leaks. If you have leaks, they could dry up after the truck runs for a while. There are also additives you can purchase to help recondition seals. I would change your fuel and air filters. Another thing I would check is your fuel tanks to make sure algae has not collected in the tanks. You may also want to drain and fill your radiator. Antifreeze can break down over time. It might be OK for a while. If the truck was running before it was parked then it should be alright now except for some leaks. King pins can also dry out. I would grease thoroughly before going far. You can check your u-joints, king pins and other movable parts at the same time.

6. Tama Mai Hawaii Nei

Sep 6, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Truck has ran just nothing significant only a few 1000 feet. I should be ok with getting it home then? I am only going a few hundred miles. I plan on putting biocide init when I fuel it up incase anything is in the tanks. I was also going to buy an additive for the seals run it home change the oils and see how it does.

I never considered the kingpins thanks for mentioning it.

7. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Oh if air ride, check for dry rot on the air bags also

8. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    You are welcome. If it has been running, it should be OK to get home. However, if it were me, I would stop at a garage or truck stop and have everything lubed. Sometimes kingpins can be dry and it will appear they are bad. After you grease them they can tighten up. Speedco or any truck stop will lube it for you and not charge much. You can always change the oil later if you want to wait. When you change the oil you may also want to have them do an oil analysis. That can tell you a lot about what is going on with your engine.

9. Tama Mai Hawaii Nei

Sep 6, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    I really appreciate the advice. Never bought a older truck that's been sitting. My 362 was gone through before I bought it and I only know what to look for if the trucks been in operation.

Looks like I'll pull it into the shop and just put my hands on everything if it looks questionable replace it.

I'll definitely lube everything before I head home and do the oil sample. Have the blowby if any checked.

Again I really appreciate the advice on what to look for

10. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Is the cab of a fld the same cab they use on a classic?

11. Tama Mai Hawaii Nei

Sep 6, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Basically same truck with a different hood

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.