aerodynamics

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by willeo6709, Mar 27, 2016.

1. willeo6709

willeo6709 Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2015
    I run a straight truck, but I see a lot of semi's have the angled skirts under the trailer to block air from the trailer axles and reduce drag. I saw somewhere its a big drag reduction and a pretty good percentage in fuel savings. Does it work on a shorter straight truck? or is there just not enough real estate to make it work?

for reference a 24' dry van single axle straight truck dock height, full size box.

The nose cones seem to say they help a lot but I have never seen the box skirts on a short truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckNorris

TruckNorris Light Load Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Oshkosh, WI
    Will it help? Yes. Will you notice it? Probably not.

My unprofessional opinion is you might see a tenth or two better fuel economy, but driving style can help more.

4. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Are you mainly highway? Or metro?

5. willeo6709

willeo6709 Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2015
    we run a straight truck for local delivery, 65mph max and usally inside 30 miles or so. We just traded to a Pete 335 with a 250 hp c7 but the old truck was a 195hp dt466 and the wind really knocked it in the ###. Drag increases exponentially with speed but is also pretty directly related to surface area being pushed , but its one of those things that if it was strictly surface area planes would not fly......

Its looking like not a big enough improvement to be worth the effort.

6. TruckNorris

TruckNorris Light Load Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Oshkosh, WI
    I wouldn't say it's worth it, especially after you said you drive a 30 mi radius. When you get out on the open highway for hours on end is when you'll see the difference, starting and stopping in town etc you'll never notice it.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Eh... if you are a city rig I leave it off. Causes problems with high crowns, curbs and so forth. Clearances too.

The areodynamics have improved greatly over the years but some of it is a bit much IMHO. Particularly the dams under the trailers these days. There were times Ive gotten into places that would have ripped those dams right off under that trailer.

A second issue is you convert a trailer into a giant sail. I would not want that on ice during storms so.. the risk outweighs the few dollars you might or might not notice in your fuel bill.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.