Aftermarket automatic fan switch/relay

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by zx150, May 4, 2016.

1. zx150

zx150 Medium Load Member

Mar 30, 2012
    I need an aftermarket fan switch/relay/trigger for my KW with a 3406B mechanical CAT. The fan works if you hit the switch on the dash but since the truck originally had an ECM controlled engine it does not work as there is nothing to trigger the fan.

Is there a specific KW harness or parts kit that I can put in or can I just use one of the many aftermarket ones sold at the auto parts store? I'm leaning towards the 2nd route. The switch in the dash is wired thru a relay. If I go that route where do I want the probe, in the radiator or what specific part of the engine?

Also what temp should I use as the trigger temp for fan ON and what temp for fan OFF?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    BoxCarKidd and zx150 Thank this.
  4. zx150

zx150 Medium Load Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Thanks!

Ended up ordering a Proform kit # 69598

5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    On stuff like that I normally use a Kysor 3 terminal switch. You can connect them normally open or closed and are HD, may last the life of the truck. Dash switch can be wired to engauge fan with power or ground depending on application. They are available in different temperature ranges also. I will look into your kit, hope that works out for you and maybe me.

6. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    measure solenoid resistance. May be u need additional relay to avoid too high current controlled by switch, but usually it works well w/o relay

7. zx150

zx150 Medium Load Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Getting ready to install the kit and hit a couple snags.

First the kit uses a negative signal to trigger the fan and the stock KW wiring has the fan triggered with a positive signal. So I'll need to wire in a second relay that's triggered negative and supplies a positive...not sure what the exact terminology is.

2ND is I gotta drain the coolant and adapt the probe. Any idea what size the sensor ports are on the front of the head?

8. zx150

zx150 Medium Load Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Here's the photos. First are ports on top of the head and the second is on the side , ahead of the thermostat housing. IMAG0509.jpg IMAG0508.jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.