Airtabs - do they work?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by hatlesstrukr, Feb 16, 2013.

1. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    i would LOVE to see the actual wind tunnel demonstration over a computer simulation

even if you went by the computer simulation, i would expect a much greater fuel mileage increase because of the "no drag" created,

not 0.2mpg but a full 2mpg if not more

how much do they cost?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    o, got my answer

4. eeb

eeb Heavy Load Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Maybe we could hassle Mythbusters to check'em out, along with Aircell, Turbo3000, dual wheel covers, etc. Even if they did run the story, it'd probably just muddy the water even more, but we just might get some oh-so-precious wind tunnel footage. Think I google that right now.

losttrucker Thanks this.
  5. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    wheel covers give you .17-.2 mpg.... I've checked the millage on this truck for 2 years on a dedicated run with the same load and the same fuel stops and when I installed the wheel covers my millage went up .19

it took less than month for them to pay for themselves in fuel savings. running solo would take about a 2 months, but the ones I got are the most expensive you can buy
    http://www.realwheels.com/aero_clear.html

eeb Thanks this.
  6. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012

So how much are they?

7. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Properly designed and placed spoilers (front and/or rear) will actually decrease the coefficient of drag of a vehicle even though you may be adding something that "interferes" with the air stream. It is all about air stream management and the rear of trucks/trailers are extremely inefficient.

8. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    If I were to ever try the air tabs, I would want to get them painted to match the truck. Makes one wonder what additional cost it would be to do that after purchasing the air tabs. Especially for someone like me that does not have an automotive painting setup and I have never seen my truck color... Dupont Viper Blue Pearl Elite.... available in a spray can. The ROI seems to be getting further and further out.

9. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
  10. eeb

eeb Heavy Load Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Well, sure, and if you want them gold plated, the roi goes way out there! Haha. That's something to be considered, though the black ones match black plastic/ rubber trim items and usually don't look too bad bare. Btw,have you ever looked for that color among the model car paints in a hobby shop? Couple cans ought to do it.

11. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    one can maybe 2 of fusion paint comes in a blue may work.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.